2003 yamaha 130 oil leaking

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
I'm having two problems with my oil system. One is the engine tank takes a really long time to fill up. I have to leave the key to the on postion for about 2 hours for it to fill. Another problem is sometimes when I know the tank was full the day before, then the next day the oil is in between the max and min lines. I don't see any oil leaking. Could it somehow get drained back down the oil lines? When the engine is down it doesn't drain. Thanks guys

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 yamaha 130 oil leaking

There is an inline strainer that could be clogged?
These pumps don't last forever,maybe take it apart and clean it and it might be clogged.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah I think you are right. It may be clogged. What could be causing the oil to drain halfway? Also i may replace the entire oil line. On the yamaha website it's pretty expensive. Does it need to be a yamaha line or can i buy any type of oil line?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Remove the big oil tank and the lines going to it.

Disassemble the components like was previously mentioned. I'd clean it all in mineral spirits. Chances are you have some sludge and contamination.

You'll have to inspect the rubber hose to see if it's something you can purchase at an auto parts store. Sure expensive stuff thru Yamaha.

That part of the oil system is pretty simple. After a good cleaning and a filter, you'll be ready to go.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

So i went to boat to remove the tank and its in a really hard place to remove. I noticed there was a thin strip of metal goibg over the top that had a bolt going thru it. I removed that. But it still is stuck. What else holds the tank in place?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 0

Capt Ken

Commander

Nothing holding it. Just muscle it out. Probably the sludge holding it in.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone take out there tank? Is there anything that holds it in place besides the strap bar on top?would could be making the oil go back down to the rank

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice

Shouldn't be anything holding it in once the strap is removed. Maybe the sludge, dirt, oil, etc. has "glued" it in. Muscle it...

Ken