Oil sending 150HPDI Yamaha

Russell1987

Cadet
Changed oil cap assembly on 2001 Yamaha 150HPDI because it was leaking. Part replaced using engine serial number. Since change, oil sending unit is not auto refilling motor tank. Sending unit does work because manual switch does refill. Any ideas what problem may be?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Oil sending 150HPDI Yamaha

manual switch working does not mean the float switch you replaced works, it just bypasses and grounds so motor will run.
You need to start testing to see what is working and what is not

Russell1987

Cadet

manual switch working does not mean the float switch you replaced works, it just bypasses and grounds so motor will run.
You need to start testing to see what is working and what is not

Thought that also so put old float back in and problem still same.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Make darn sure that the oil screen is properly installed. If not, it will cause the float to bind and hang up.

What are you seeing on your tachometer with respect to oil bars/lights, if equipped?

I presume this is the main oil tank that we are talking about.

Russell1987

Cadet

Thank you for response. All symbols in tach are showing perfect. I did notice on filter that the O ring shown in detail at bottom of filter is not there. Also is there a way I can through the clip connector that the oil cap assembly connects to, use jumpers to make the sending unit activate without having to use the manual switch. This will help me isolate the problem between the cap assembly or wiring down the line. Thanks for everything.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Do this. Remove the plastic sump attached to the main oil tank. Drain the tank completely. Reinstall and zip tie the sump.

Turn the key to the ON position. Wait a bit. The pump should start running. Does it? The pump will run for three minutes or until the tank if full, whichever occurs first.

With the pump running oil should be flowing from the remote tank to the main tank. Does it?

The main tank sensor has three switches in it. Top switch (float up) grounds to tell the ECU to stop transferring oil. Middle switch (float in middle) grounds to tell the ECU to command the transfer of oil from the remote tank to the main tank. Bottom switch (float down) tells the ECU to put the engine into RPM reduction mode/turn on the horn/flash the oil bars on the tachometer.

If the remote tank is low on oil then when the main tank float goes to the middle position the ECU will not call for oil to be transferred. But, you should see this on the tachometer. Plus, you said the remote tank is full.

Russell1987

Cadet

During our trouble shooting we took out the float assembly and disconnected the sump. Held the sump over a plastic bottle, held the assembly straight up so the float would bottom out, turned the key on and nothing ever happened except the continuous warning signals. If I understand you correctly I should only let the float go to the middle of the float rod.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

The float will go to the bottom of the float rod, indicating to the ECU that the tank is empty.

Just try what I have suggested and let us know what happens.

Russell1987

Cadet

Boscoe99
Thank you for your advice and the photo of how the unit is to be installed. I followed it to the T and the system now works perfectly. Owe you big time. Russell1987