Can an overheated engine cause charge coils, stators, etc, to fail? Yamaha 60TLRD

astampfel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My engine became overheated and I lost compression in #2 cylinder (no oil was the cause). I rebuilt the engine to regain compression, but now I'm discovering that my ignition system has some problems. I have a DVA and did some trouble-shooting, but my results were a little troublesome. I get only 12 volts out of the charge coil at 1500 RPM which is bad, but my trigger coil is not in spec either. By mistake I bought a new power pack (bad mistake), but when that didn't work, I took a step back and investigated the entire ignition system. I'm waiting for my new charge coil to arrive. I'm hoping that will do the trick, but I'm afraid that more coils were fried. Is it possible that all my ignition coils were destroyed with the overheat?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Can an overheated engine cause charge coils, stators, etc, to fail? Yamaha 60TLRD

Well,to much heat can destroy the electrics,seen it only one time in the past,on a johnnyrude. The coils started melting to the powerhead,to make it stop running.
Grub

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can an overheated engine cause charge coils, stators, etc, to fail? Yamaha 60TLRD

my johnson 150 overheated and took out the rectifier,no charging after that

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

never heard of no oil causing overheat before. Usually no oil gets bearings 1st before pistons
Not enough water , plugged passages,or running lean fuel/air mix are the normal causes for overheat

Capt Ken

Commander

If the engine is running, as stated by your statement of it running at 1500 rpms, then why are you checking the ignition system? Also if you didn't locate and solve the lean fuel problem with #2 cylinder, it will happen again.

astampfel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all your help! I bought a new charge coil, but that wasn't the problem. When I removed the flywheel to install the charge coil, I noticed that one of the charge coil wires was 1/2 way worn through, exposing the wire but not totally cutting it in half. So, it seems like the charge coil was send power, but most of it was being grounded to the flywheel, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I patched up the wire and rerouted it so it wouldn't rub on the flywheel and my engine runs good now. All cylinders fire. I'm so upset!!!!!!!!!!!!!!