thinking of buying a 1990 100hp suzuki v4 but have a question first

jason011

Seaman
i found a 1990 100hp v4 suzuki, the guy says it needs the guages hooked up in the boat for the motor to start..... i have had a few suzuki outboards and have never had to have anything hooked up for them to start, the motors i had ranged in years from 86 to 92 and like i said..... all i had to do to start them was put fuel to them like the older omc's, if anyone can shed some light on this before i go for a long drive and buy it that would be great..... thanks in advance

jason011

Seaman
Re: thinking of buying a 1990 100hp suzuki v4 but have a question first

noone has any ideas about this? this guy says its a safety thing that the motor wont start without the guages but that sounds like a bunch of bs to me, its an old motor, i cant see it needing them to run

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I agree with you, but I am not someone that works on Zuks

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Maybe he is talking about the killswitch on the remote controls, I also kno that some models had an external kill switch for traveling offshore ...

jason011

Seaman

im not sure, he just said it needs the guages hooked up to run. from my experience with them you dont have to use guages at all until 1996 and i agree with your quote 100% THE MAXIMUM HORSEPOWER REALLY ISNT EVER ENOUGH, that is just a guide for people that need someone to tell them whats safe hahaha, my chrysler conqueror is only rated for a 75hp but i have a 115 yamaha on it and still think it could use a bit more ( im only getting 62 mph out of it ) on an unrelated topic, how to i advance from being a cadet to something else?

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

it is just post count.
Keep posting good info and help to others and you will move up

by the way boats have limits on them to make sure the transom strength from force of HP and weight of motor will not cause problems. If you run more than that your insurance may not cover you and your boat

Last edited:

jason011

Seaman

i dont disagree with what you are saying 99 yam 40, however my chrysler conqueror has both a US coast gaurd rating and a canada coast gaurd rating on the same tag from factory, the canadian one says its rated for 75hp and the us one says its rated for 105hp, over the years i have owned at least 80 or more boats, i have had 2 boats in my yard at the same time that were identical in every way other than the name on the side was different, i had a 14.5 foot sunray that was rated for a 65hp and a chestnut ( identical in every way ) that was rated for a 30, i do realize that by going over the maximum rated hp that insurance will not cover anything, all i am saying is that i have found that alot of boats are built pretty well the same, the transoms were mostly all built out of 2 pieces of 3/4" douglas fir plywood, glassed to the sides of the boat so if one of them will take 80hp, so should the other, i had a 14.5 ft peterborough that was rated for 40hp, with a 40hp on it, it wasnt much fun to drive so i put a 90hp on it ( just as an experiment ) and it worked great ( that was 6 years ago and the guy i sold it to is still using it today with no damage to the boat, and the boat only sat about 1.5" lower in the water with the 90 compared to the 40 ) im not trying to makes waves by saying what i said all im saying is everyone has their own opinion on hp ratings and from my own experience with it, this is mine, i just rebuilt the transom in my chrysler with 2 pieces of 3/4" douglas fir and covered that with 2 layers of kevlar ( which will make the transom much stronger than from factory ) its rated for 426 pounds of engine weight so i should be able to put a 175hp evinrude 2 stroke on it and have no problems, im not saying i am going to, just saying that i should be able to ( im not crazy i just like going fast ) anyhow thats my opinion hope i havent offended anyone with it, thanks for the reply

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

looks like you have run through a lot of boats.

No one is offended , Just saying insurance may be a problem covering a boat if not properly rigged

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Hahaha good times! I think all my boats are over the limit when it comes to HP, in South Africa anything goes ...

jason011

Seaman

yeah the insurance thing is optional here in nova scotia, a couple years ago i had a 15ft checkmate ( my profile pic ) when i blew up the 90hp that was on it, i put a 140hp suzuki on it ( it looked as big as the boat ), every time a cop saw the boat i was worried they would say something about the engine size compared to the boat but all they ever said to me was " catch alot of fish with that?" hahaha, i always felt like saying " kinda hard to catch fish at 80 mph" hahahaha

CheckmateEnticer

Seaman Apprentice

yeah the insurance thing is optional here in nova scotia, a couple years ago i had a 15ft checkmate ( my profile pic ) when i blew up the 90hp that was on it, i put a 140hp suzuki on it ( it looked as big as the boat ), every time a cop saw the boat i was worried they would say something about the engine size compared to the boat but all they ever said to me was " catch alot of fish with that?" hahaha, i always felt like saying " kinda hard to catch fish at 80 mph" hahahaha

Buy a GPS. Your boat doesn't run 80. I have a DT 140 myself and it is a straight 4. I have never seen a Suzuki V-4.

Last edited:

jason011

Seaman

that was a straight 4 dt 140 and on gps it topped out at 77.4 mph ( thats close enough to 80 ) and the 100 is a v4, i looked at it with my own 2 eyes and it was the first one i ever saw, oh.... and i had a few mods done to the 140 and the boat to get top speed out of it, just so ya know Checkmate Enticer, and i read all my speeds on gps ( speedos arent accurate enough )

CheckmateEnticer

Seaman Apprentice

Good to know. Is that an MX-15 you have? Maybe I came off the wrong way, I know those are good runners, I just didn't know THAT good. Curious as to the mods done to the Suzuki? Reeds, heads shaved? Also curious the prop you are running because I'm having trouble finding a good selection of props. I'm maxing out a 22" Turbo prop now. Thanks, Scott

jason011

Seaman

it is an mx-15, that picture was with a stock 90 evinrude on it, it would max out at 48 mph with a 21p prop, on the suzuki i had the heads planed, a different set of reeds, i made a forced air induction for it, jetted the carbs to get more fuel because of the extra air it was getting and had the cylinders ported and polished ( this stuff doesnt cost me much to do as my father in law is a machinist, i was running a 25p four blade carbon fibre prop on it, before i did any work to it i was getting 68 mph with a 21p three blade aluminum

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Nice one! I mod a 30hp 3cyl Suzuki to the max back in the day, had to run it on AVgas .... I took out the 70hp guys, what fun that was!

jason011

Seaman

i ended up killing the the dt 140 but only after i started running C 12 in it, it was very reliable after doing the mods but i wanted to get more ponies out of it so i started running the C12 and it worked like a 200hp.... but only for about a month, then it sh1t the bed hahahaha, thats a flashy little boat ya got there deejaycee_2000, what is it and whats hangin off the back?

Last edited:

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Thanx man, it is my race boat! An inflatable cat with a Yam 70hp CES mod on ... google thundercat racing and you will see, it's alot fun ... I push 80mph with no worries ...

CheckmateEnticer

Seaman Apprentice

it is an mx-15, that picture was with a stock 90 evinrude on it, it would max out at 48 mph with a 21p prop, on the suzuki i had the heads planed, a different set of reeds, i made a forced air induction for it, jetted the carbs to get more fuel because of the extra air it was getting and had the cylinders ported and polished ( this stuff doesnt cost me much to do as my father in law is a machinist, i was running a 25p four blade carbon fibre prop on it, before i did any work to it i was getting 68 mph with a 21p three blade aluminum

Please explain the "forced air induction" if you don't mind. Thanks, Scott

jason011

Seaman

it was nothing special really, i removed the air box, built intake pipes that hooked to the carbs and mounted a small turbine fan to the motor, hooked a pulley to the flywheel and one to the fan so i could run it by belt so that the higher the engine reved, the more air it would push, i also cut a 2.5 inch hole in the hood and put a small screen and a cowl on it so that it would get fresh air and keep all the crap out of it, the results were waaaaayyyy better than i ever expected

Ba_calf_co

Recruit

Just my 2 cents I just took a 1990 Suzuki dt100 off of my boat and it will not run right if the oil command gauge is not hooked into it unless the person has correctly removed the oil injection system