Yamaha 60TLRD no compression #2 cylinder

astampfel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't have any compression in #2 cylinder. I had a couple of boat repair guys stop by and one thinks it is a broken piston rod and the other thinks it is a broken piston ring. I've never rebuilt an engine before, but if it is a rod or ring, could this be a job I could do, or does it take special tools? I don't think the head is warped or something else caused by heat. The engine looks OK from the outside (no residue or heat indications on the head).

Would I need to take the motor off the boat, or could I do the job with the motor mounted?

Thanks,
Andrew

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Yamaha 60TLRD no compression #2 cylinder

The piston is melted from a lean fuel mixture. Probably a dirty carb. The engine would need a complete rebuild including boring of that cylinder.

astampfel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Capt Ken!
I took the engine apart and the #2 piston was crumbling and the cylinder was scored. I have the block at a local machine shop and will be installing an over sized piston. After pressing my girlfriend for info, she admitted that the oil tank ran dry and there was some type of alarm (I'm guessing low oil level). I hope I get it back together OK (and all the wiring in the right spot).

astampfel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the cylinder block back from the machine shop ($45), and reassembled my engine. I have 120 psi on all 3 cylinders now! I think I have something wired wrong though because my tilt/trim won't work. Also, I learned that my started solenoid failed, ughhhhhhhhh.