1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

efan38

Cadet
i have an 86 suzuki DT65 on a skeeter bass boat that suddenly quit pulling in forward gear. it would still move the boat idling but when throttled up slips. i'm thinking it may be a bad clutch dog and would like to disassemble lower unit to check it out. i have it seperated from the power head but not sure how the rest comes apart. i don't want to break anything forcing it. have not had any luck finding an on line manual or procedure to disassemble lower unit, any help would be great ! thanks

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

Before you took it apart did you check to make sure you didn't spin the prop?

efan38

Cadet

Before you took it apart did you check to make sure you didn't spin the prop?

yes i checked the prop first. i thought maybe it fell off the way it acted but it was tight and the rubber was good

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

only good way to check for spun prop is to mark the hub and prop and then run it until it happens again then look to see if the marks have moved.
Just looking at it or trying to turn it by hand is useless

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

any metal in gear oil? any noise? if no to both doubt its a clutch dog

efan38

Cadet

only good way to check for spun prop is to mark the hub and prop and then run it until it happens again then look to see if the marks have moved.
Just looking at it or trying to turn it by hand is useless

ok thanks i'll try that there was no metal shavings at all when i drained it still very clean lube

efan38

Cadet

you were absolutely right i looked a little closer and saw rubber rolled up around it got it marked and taking it back to the water to check thanks so much !

707fish

Recruit

you were absolutely right i looked a little closer and saw rubber rolled up around it got it marked and taking it back to the water to check thanks so much !

hey not to walk on your link but,
I have a 92' dt55. In neutral pulled the lower to replace the impeller. Think it caught the shift linkage when coming down. Now its stuck in reverse. what the trick to get the lower back into neutral. I've messed with it for an hour now. cant get it to mesh.