Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

    i have an 86 suzuki DT65 on a skeeter bass boat that suddenly quit pulling in forward gear. it would still move the boat idling but when throttled up slips. i'm thinking it may be a bad clutch dog and would like to disassemble lower unit to check it out. i have it seperated from the power head but not sure how the rest comes apart. i don't want to break anything forcing it. have not had any luck finding an on line manual or procedure to disassemble lower unit, any help would be great ! thanks

  • #2
    Re: 1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

    Before you took it apart did you check to make sure you didn't spin the prop?
    1988 16ft. SeaNymph FM, 1998 Nissan 25/30
    1987 Myers 14ft. Pro Fisherman (electric)
    1982 Sears 12ft. 1958 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman
    1981 Coleman 15ft. canoe
    1997 Evinrude 50 T&T waiting for boat
    1989 17 ft. Bass Tracker 1989 Johnson 70
    1991 Evinrude 15HP remote (looking for tiller handle)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

      Originally posted by TwoRivers View Post
      Before you took it apart did you check to make sure you didn't spin the prop?
      yes i checked the prop first. i thought maybe it fell off the way it acted but it was tight and the rubber was good

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

        only good way to check for spun prop is to mark the hub and prop and then run it until it happens again then look to see if the marks have moved.
        Just looking at it or trying to turn it by hand is useless

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

          any metal in gear oil? any noise? if no to both doubt its a clutch dog
          sigpic[FONT="System"][/. ase master tech

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

            Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            only good way to check for spun prop is to mark the hub and prop and then run it until it happens again then look to see if the marks have moved.
            Just looking at it or trying to turn it by hand is useless
            ok thanks i'll try that there was no metal shavings at all when i drained it still very clean lube

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

              Originally posted by stylesabu View Post
              any metal in gear oil? any noise? if no to both doubt its a clutch dog
              no metal at all in the oil was still very clean could it be pin broke or came out ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

                you were absolutely right i looked a little closer and saw rubber rolled up around it got it marked and taking it back to the water to check thanks so much !

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sign up today
                  Re: 1986 suzuki DT65 lower unit disassembly

                  Originally posted by efan38 View Post
                  you were absolutely right i looked a little closer and saw rubber rolled up around it got it marked and taking it back to the water to check thanks so much !
                  hey not to walk on your link but,
                  I have a 92' dt55. In neutral pulled the lower to replace the impeller. Think it caught the shift linkage when coming down. Now its stuck in reverse. what the trick to get the lower back into neutral. I've messed with it for an hour now. cant get it to mesh.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X