SUZUKI DF175 Tilt / Trim

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class
My buddy asked me to check out one of his 2006 175 four strokes, down trim works, up trim doesn't. Relay does not click when trying to trim up.

Troubleshooting:
- Disconnected each of the switches, first the pan switch and actuated the binnacle switch with pan switch disconnected. Negative results.

- Then disconnected the binnacle switch and tried with the pan switch. Negative results.

- Jumpered motor wires to switch polarity and have the operational down circuit run the motor up, works.

- Removed relay from twin motor and swapped for a hang test, still no joy. Relay from faulty system works as advertised with no discrepancy on twin.

Wiring looks clean, as well as small wiring the junction box, no obvious signs of fault all contacts are bright. I didn't have a meter with me so we left things apart to check into wiring later.

Is there any other component besides wiring that could cause this fault?

Thanks for input.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: SUZUKI DF175 Tilt / Trim

- Jumpered motor wires to switch polarity and have the operational down circuit run the motor up, works.

I do not understand what you are saying here,
Did you just swap the motor lead wires on the relays?

My thoughts are there is a break in a wire or ground.
Meter will help to see where voltage is being lost

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do not understand what you are saying here,
Did you just swap the motor lead wires on the relays?

My thoughts are there is a break in a wire or ground.
Meter will help to see where voltage is being lost

Disconnected plug for trim motor (two wires, blue and green) put jumper wires in between blue and green and green and blue wires to basically swap leads. Motor runs trim system up as expected.

I found out that there is a tilt limit switch attached to the steering cable / tilt tube (this could be the break in the circuit). I suspect this to be where our issue is. I Will follow up with results.

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fault was found to be in the tilt limit switch circuit. I cut the two light blue leads going to the switch and spliced the ends together inside the cowling to bypass the switch. Funny thing is that while we were fixing it, the same circuit started acting up on the twin motor, so I completed the same modification to that one. Both tilt/trim systems are working now.

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class

The tilt limit switch is adjustable. Check your full tilt to ensure you don't slam the cover against the hull. If so, reconnect the light blue wires properly and make the adjustment on the steering tube.