Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling crack in Suzuki lower unit

Hello,

I have one of those typical cracks on my old 93 DT150 lower unit. It runs from the end of the exhaust area inwards about 3" . Following advice that I've read in older threads here, tomorrow I am going to drill a 1/8" hole at the start of the crack. What I am wondering is what is inside the lower unit at that point. I looked at the FSM diagrams but it isn't real clear how far inwards anything "important" starts. Do I need to be hypersensitive to how deep I am drilling, when 3 or 4" in from the exhaust flange?

Thanks in advance,
    -E

Re: Drilling crack in Suzuki lower unit

If it was mine, I'd sand the area around the crack and have it welded. Sounds like saltwater has gotten around your lower unit bearing carrier, corroded it, swelled up and cracked the case.

Comment

The bearing carrier corrosion is what I had read here in the archives, also. Based on what I read, I also saw a lot of mention that I should drill the end of the crack with an 1/8" bit (it was in an old response by RodBolt) to stop it from spreading, then either get the case welded or jb-weld it.

Comment

Just V the crack and have it welded. Then drive it like you stole it.

Comment

Working...
        X