how to tighten a yamaha tiller throttle cable?

jwilley

Recruit
I have a 1992 25 HP yamaha tiller OB and I just replaced a broken throttle shaft on it. When I went to attached the cables to the plastic disk on the end of the shaft, there was about 1/4-1/2 inch too much play in one of the cables. Now when I twist the throttle grip the cable wraps back on itself by the disk, putting slack in the cable and ultimately popping it out of the groove in the disk. I've tightened it as far as I can on the motor end, so I don't know what else I can do to keep the cables in the disk where they are supposed to be.

Any tips appreciated

jason

Rick5715

Recruit
Re: how to tighten a yamaha tiller throttle cable?

I have a 1992 25 HP yamaha tiller OB and I just replaced a broken throttle shaft on it. When I went to attached the cables to the plastic disk on the end of the shaft, there was about 1/4-1/2 inch too much play in one of the cables. Now when I twist the throttle grip the cable wraps back on itself by the disk, putting slack in the cable and ultimately popping it out of the groove in the disk. I've tightened it as far as I can on the motor end, so I don't know what else I can do to keep the cables in the disk where they are supposed to be.

Any tips appreciated

jason

First did you mechanical zero or close the throttle on the carb to the stops. This would make the cables even put them on the disk. Observe the angle or degrees the cables are situated, slip the disk on the shaft keeping the same angle or degree. make sure the handle is at the stops in the low end.