2006 25hp 2 stroke: Water cooling flow? Telltale?

Sandor27

Seaman
Have a Yamaha '06 25hp 2 stroke. Was wanting to know if the telltale is BEFORE the cylinder/case cooling circuit or AFTER the circuit?

Basically, if I suck up a lot of mud and pack the Thermostat 'til it no longer flows, can I still get flow out the tell tale but no cooling to head?

Interestingly enough I had a nasty overheat on a 2000 Johnson 9.9hp due to just that. The telltale is before the cylinder head. I hit mud, lost telltale, got telltale back and proceeded. Then bam! Overheat. Took it apart and the Tstat was plugged with mud. So on Johnson it goes Intake-->Water pump-->exhaust cooling plate & telltale-->case-->Thermostat-->cylinder head--> case-->exhaust leg.

What does the Yamaha 25hp do? If you have a link to the cooling diagram that would be great!

Thanks!

Sandor27

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2006 25hp 2 stroke: Water cooling flow? Telltale?

as far as I know all tell tails are before stat, they just indicate water pump is pumping water not that it is flowing through motor and cooling

as far as I know all tell tails are before stat, they just indicate water pump is pumping water not that it is flowing through motor and cooling

That and the fact they have a bypass that allows a small amount water through the t stat housing.

Sandor27

Seaman

I found a diagram for a 4 stroke.
diagramblvol2no3.jpg
waterflowchartblvol2no3.jpg
This clearly shows that the telltale and the case/cylinder head cooling are in parallel.

And if th e2 stroke is similar, then that tells me that I COULD have a full telltale but not have cylinder cooling.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!