Help! 1986 Yamaha 90hp 90ETLJ Warning buzzer sounding (remove oil filter/screen?)

starcraft99

Recruit
Motor starts and runs great. Warning buzzer sounds when going slow for a short period of time (usually a wakezone, usually after running for a while). Getting out of the wakezone (buzzer still sounding) accelerates OK untill about 2000 rpm and starts curtting out (RPM limiter). I run it at about 1800 rpm with buzzer alarm blaring for about a minute - then the buzzer goes off and it runs fine accellerates normally. It will run fine all day until going slow again for a relatively short amount of time.

It does not appear to be overheating (Owner's Manual cause #1). Engine is not exceptionally hot, no heat related smell, the water hole has a decent flow and warm/hot stream.

Oil tank is full (Owner's manual cause #2).

One thing I haven't been able to check for is clogging in the oil filter (oil screen) (cause #3). I have located the oil filter screen - the top of it is a rubber cap on the oil tank and has 3 wires going into it (located below the starter). Looks like it should just pop-off by hand or with a screwdriver, but it does not want to come off, and I don't want to break it.

Any advice on the buzzer and/or getting the oil filter (screen) removed is much appreciated!

thanks, john c.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help! 1986 Yamaha 90hp 90ETLJ Warning buzzer sounding (remove oil filter/screen?)

Look at your gauges to see what the alarm is that is going off. if you do not have any then test while alarm is going off

if tell tail is putting out warm/hot stream like you said then I would think it was overheat, as steam is not normal

That is the oil level float switch device not a filter, check you manual

Fritztek

Cadet
I'm experiencing the same exact issue as John C. What was your resolution? I see only a green oil light on the gauges. What can be tested while alarm is going off?