2005 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke Solenoid & Relay problem. Aftermarket parts?

NWOOO

Cadet
So, I have a 2005 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke. Great motor, this is my first foray into repairs.

I have an intermittent problem where the motor won't start when warm......we turn the key and NOTHING. NO click, no hum, no turning over....NOTHING. Just a complete dead key turn.

I took it to a local repair shop, and the people there told me it would cost $550 for the starter-solenoid (STARTER RELAY ASSY - part# 6C5-81941-00) and $110 for the relay (#68V-8194A-00).

Well, to be honest, I was shocked at the prices for simple (normally cheap) electronic parts.

So I'll cut to the chase....can I substitute generic/aftermarket parts, and if so....where can I get them?

If not, I'll for sure just bite the bullet and reluctantly go with the OEM.

I bought this motor used a few years ago for $4500. It's tough to swallow a $1000 repair bill. Doesn't make sense. We're not rebuilding the engine, we're just replacing a few cheapo electrical parts. :(

Great site. Great forum. :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2005 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke Solenoid & Relay problem. Aftermarket parts?

Test things yourself, I find it hard to believe you need both those parts.
Usually just bad cable or connections.

Punch those part#s into your search engine to see what you find,

maybe take starter to a starter/alternator repair shop to have it checked out if needed

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Do the simple stuff first. No click, no starter, is almost always bad battery cable connections. The fix is free. Disconnect them, clean them (as in shiny bright) then inspect the cables carefully where the cable enters the terminal. If you see any swelling or corrosion at that point, install a new cable or cut off the end and install a new one. Do this on both cables and both ends of them. If this doesn't fix the problem then follow the juice with a voltmeter. When you lose it you found the problem. Throwing parts at an engine when you don't know what's broken is an expensive way to troubleshoot.

NWOOO

Cadet

Suddenly, the starting issue doesn't seem to be my biggest problem. When it rains, it pours.

Just got off the lake the other night and seen this.....looks like oil/water mix coming out of the exhaust and possibly a head connection/gasket? Yikes. It goes into the shop this Friday for a look. Darnnit. :(

motor1.jpgmotor2.jpg