2004 Yamaha 150 hp hpdi two stroke will not run well

Joral

Cadet
I have a 2004 Yamaha 150 hp two stroke hpdi. Yesterday I used the boat for the first time this year. It started and run well for up to 2500 rpm or about to 8 miles an hour. The moment I tried to give it more gas to go faster the motor stalled and shout off. This happened on and on every time I tried to go faster. It could run forever at a low rpm. The boat was winterized by a professional Yamaha dealer last season. I appreciate all help. Thank you.

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2004 Yamaha 150 hp hpdi two stroke will not run well

my firtst guess would be fuel related, try a remote tank, change water seperator, if possible check fuel pressure, i would also check vst filter, most times you cannot re/use gasket so have one on hand,

Joral

Cadet

my firtst guess would be fuel related, try a remote tank, change water seperator, if possible check fuel pressure, i would also check vst filter, most times you cannot re/use gasket so have one on hand,

I just checked my records.

Last year had similar situation after winterization. Mechanic checked the compresion in all cylinders, replaced filter on high pressure pump, replaced all spark, the water/oil separator an it was still not running good. Only after a VST filter was changed that the boat runned very well and it did runned well most of the summer. At the very end, probably the very last time that I used the boat before winter it had some of the beginning symptoms of hitting a bump when moving the control level forward. It was a hesitation but it will go through and the boat will keep going running well.

If this filter was the problem, why would it go bad so soon. I tend to believe that there is something else wrong that the mechanic (yamaha dealer) is not finding.

Boat has appt. with mechanic for next Friday.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

He should monitor the fuel pressures and will see if there are restrictions in the systems.

If you have stuff plugging filters and you have not cleans tanks, lines, pumps etc. and made sure the lines are not coming apart going to them then you need to wait for what the Yamaha tech has to say.

May have injectors cleaned if the other filters are plugging

bgbjr

Recruit

it is ethanol fuel that causes your problem. Ethanol aborbs moisture and is then seperated out of the fuel by the filters. My particular boat has a cannister filter (like an oil filter) in the hull and the God Awful expensive filter that Yamaha puts on the outbord engine. You can pour them out, let them dry and put them back in unless they become too dirty.

bgbjr

Recruit

it is ethanol fuel that causes your problem. Ethanol aborbs moisture and is then seperated out of the fuel by the filters. My particular boat has a cannister filter (like an oil filter) in the hull and the God Awful expensive filter that Yamaha puts on the outbord engine. You can pour them out, let them dry and put them back in unless they become too dirty.

buying non-ethanol fuel will eliminate the problem to some extent

Joral

Cadet

I just got the boat back. I have not used it yet. Mechanic said he tested it and it runs well. He did exactly as last year. ?Found high pressure pump screen blocked, replaced screen and filters, scaned engine for codes. Tested on the water?.

Parts changed. Element, fuel filter, spark plugs, another filter, Gasket, float cham, Ringfree plus and and 3 hours of labor.

High pressure pump had a clear film of something that did not allow for the fuel to go through. It has been cleaned and changed. I will test the boat this weekend and I will post the results.
Thanks.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I have found layers of old dried up fuel plug things up before , looked like small pieces of sheet of plastic. Probably came from lines or pumps.
Not sure if that is what you are talking about or something else.

Joral

Cadet

I have found layers of old dried up fuel plug things up before , looked like small pieces of sheet of plastic. Probably came from lines or pumps.
Not sure if that is what you are talking about or something else.

And my story continues. I used the boat 5 times this season. I had no problem during the first three times after the filters were changed. At the end of the fourth time, after using the boat for about an hour, it started to have similar problems as before. At low rpms the boat will runs fine, at higher RPM (speeds) the boat will loose power and it will get worse and worse. I took the boat out to the lake a fifth time to test it and after running fine for about 15 - 20 minutes it started to have the same problems. I talked with the mechanic and he has no idea what the problem could be. I will bring the boat back to him on Friday. This place is a Yamaha certefied shop. Because the last time I filled the boat with gas and I did not used much, it began to expand and spill gas on my driveway. The stain left on the side of the boat were yellowish,,, brownish. The same on the white bucket with water that I placed below the spell. It formed a yellowish,,,brownish ring at the top on the bucket. I don't know if my gas is not good. It does feel as the filters get clogged.

Thank you for your comments and advise.