1999 Suzuki DF 70 has water in lower unit gears

bobcatlou

Cadet
How difficult is it to replace the needed prop seals in the lower unit to keep out the water? Also how many seals are needed?
I will appreciate your help.
Thanks, Lou

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1999 Suzuki DF 70 has water in lower unit gears

Howdy, Lou.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Let's first eliminate the most common, and easiest to fix, cause of water intrusion in the foot: Failed gaskets under the drain/fill and vent plugs. Some people don't recognize that those are crush sealing gaskets, not washers, and don't replace them every time they service the lower end. If your gaskets were replaced on the last service that should be okay; if not, or if you don't know, replace them and test to see if water intrusion continues.

Re-sealing the gearcase is not difficult if you have a factory Service Manual and basic wrenching ability.

Good luck. :)

bobcatlou

Cadet

Howdy, Lou.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Let's first eliminate the most common, and easiest to fix, cause of water intrusion in the foot: Failed gaskets under the drain/fill and vent plugs. Some people don't recognize that those are crush sealing gaskets, not washers, and don't replace them every time they service the lower end. If your gaskets were replaced on the last service that should be okay; if not, or if you don't know, replace them and test to see if water intrusion continues.

Re-sealing the gearcase is not difficult if you have a factory Service Manual and basic wrenching ability.

Good luck. :)

A followup thought... I have changed the gaskets each time and oil leaks around the prop, so I'm sure it's the seals. Without special tools the the manual says I may need, can I replace the seals without messing up the bearings, etc?

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its usually the seals under the waterpump housing. But also check the prop shaft seal for fishing line

vrodrig

Petty Officer 3rd Class

remake of lower unit teardown and pressure test seals 012.jpgremake of lower unit teardown and pressure test seals 010.jpgremake of lower unit teardown and pressure test seals 007.jpgremake of lower unit teardown and pressure test seals 014.jpgboat n dog pics 009.jpg

Yes, the seals under water pump housing leak, in my case the lower unit case was corroded, had to fix. If you rebuild make sure to pressure check seals bout 10 to 15 psi air pressure applied through oil drain hole.

This pressure tester is an automotive radiator pressure tester from Snap 0n Tools just installed fitting at the end of the hose that would screw into oil drain plug. pump it up and hold, test with soap water mix to see bubbles. This will indicate leaks or no leaks, hope it helps.

gaelforce

Recruit

sure helped me vrodrig :joyous:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

gaelforce, PLEASE respect our rules about posting to old, dead threads. See rule #12 and the BIG RED BANNER that you ignored when you replied to this thread.