Need help with 1990 Yamaha 115ETLD Cutting Out on Top End

ZX10R

Cadet
Hi Guys and Gals new member here,

My boat and outboard are 22 years old so I decided to replace some things. I put on a new water pump, new fuel pump, and carberator rebuild kit. The outboard starts fine, idles fine, if you ease into the throttle during take off that seems fine. I am having a problem with when you punch it the motor boggs down. If I am in gear and punch it the motor boggs down real bad then takes off or if I am cruising at 3500 rpm then go to full throttle it starts cutting in and out.

I replaced the floats, gaskets, and air screw in the kit. I measured the air screws and set them right back to the same setting. The floats in the bowls I can not find any info out there on how to set those so thinking that might be the problem not really sure. Can someone help me on this?

Sean

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need help with 1990 Yamaha 115ETLD Cutting Out on Top End

Monitor fuel pressure and vacuum to make sure supply is not the problem.

Timing is also a easy one to check to make sure it is advancing properly

I all is well with those ,More than likely carbs need more attention
and pick up a service manual for your motor and adjust as it states

ZX10R

Cadet

Monitor fuel pressure and vacuum to make sure supply is not the problem.

Timing is also a easy one to check to make sure it is advancing properly

I all is well with those ,More than likely carbs need more attention
and pick up a service manual for your motor and adjust as it states

Thanks,

It was running fine before rebuilding the carbs the jets all looked fine and clear. That is why I am thinking the floats are off. I played around with them for awhile before I got them set good enough to get the motor started and idling K.

Is there a manual you suggest?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I prefer the Yamaha one as it has all the info and does not cover all those different years and HP like the after market ones.

Floats only control the volume of fuel in carbs, so I do not understand why you had to do some adjusting.
Normally when turned upside down they should be level on most carbs, but there are specs on each and every one.
Maybe it is just doing the link and sync procedure will help

ZX10R

Cadet

Floats only control the volume of fuel in carbs, so I do not understand why you had to do some adjusting.
Normally when turned upside down they should be level on most carbs, but there are specs on each and every one.
Maybe it is just doing the link and sync procedure will help

The new floats would not open up and allow fuel into the carbs. There is a stop on the floats that you bend out in order to set how much they open. I had to bend those stops out a little to start getting fuel into the carbs.

ZX10R

Cadet

I ordered a Yamaha manual last night hopefully it will have the info in it I am looking for