115 Yamaha alarm

Pete104

Lieutenant
I've got a 115 hp Yamaha that runs fine. I keep getting an audio alarm RANDOMLY!!! It's using oil from the tank & both heads are at 135-140 degrees.
Any ideas on isolating this issue?

sttopr1

Cadet
Re: 115 Yamaha alarm

Not sure if there is any relation but; I have a suzuki 115 and the water flow switch controls a beeper that beeps when starting the engine until water is sufficiently flowing through the engine. Usually for about 5 seconds and then you do not hear it any more. On mine, the water flow switch had deteriorated over time and while cruising the lake one day I started to get a random intermitant beeping. The same day it eventually started to beep continuously. After researching online, I purchased a new water flow switch. Mine was held in place by two phillips head screws and had two electric connections with quick connects. Easy install and it fixed the problem and it was less that $60.00.

Pete104

Lieutenant

I see your point. Where was that switch located on your Suzi?
According to owners manual, the alarm sounds for 1 of 2 reasons, oil & heat.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Yamaha does not have water level or flow switch like that

You might try testing the oil level and water heat sensors to make sure they are still in spec

How long does it stay on?

sttopr1

Cadet

Mine is the same it sounds for oil and water flow. I have never heard it sound for oil so i am not sure if it is the same sound or not. The water flow sensor was on the back of the motor, about midway up under the cowl I beleive, its been a while since I've changed it. Once I got the new part and comparing the two, the flapper, (for lack of a better word) on the sensor was competley gone.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Both sensors physically look OK.
I'm heating water right now to what any difference may show.
As far the oil sensor, what am I looking for? I know Mercury oil tanks have issues very similar to this & there is no real way to troubleshoot their sensor! Just replace it.
I quess I'm kind of up against the same thing.

Pete104

Lieutenant

OK. Tested the sensors using 12v & merc audio alarm unit. 1 side, heating water slow closed @ 186degrees & opened again around 160*.
Water was still pretty warm when I dropped the other side in. Alarm started right away but weak/faint. WTF? Thought maybe the water itself was being it's conductive self. Put a small spring loaded clamp on it & continued heating the water. It closed @ 180*, left the water cool down for quite awhile. Dropped sensor back in @ about 135* & even a more faint beep!
I'm thinking that this is causing my headache!

There sure isn't as many YAMAHA people that share their knowledge as on this site! Kind a disappointing!!!

But Thanks to those that HAVE chimed in!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

The advice to test was a good one, you can do some forum searching to find the way to test oil level or pick up a service manual for you motor. Most people will do that before working on their motor and you did not answer my question

Pete104

Lieutenant

Thanks 99, I know that but I kind of got this dropped in my lap! I'm an I/O guy that has serviced the owners Celebrity for years.
I downloaded the manual today & I really think I'm going in the right direction. The owner isn't sure what TACH he's got or anything!

It's going the water Saturday morning to find out what's going on. So I know! Then we'll go from there.
Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Rodbolt posted some good info on testing oil system in the past, do some searching
If the oil line from remote tank is restricted then the motor may use oil faster than it can be refilled at high RPM, but when you slow down or stop it can catch up. ( just in case it is related to oil)

Pete104

Lieutenant

Right. I've already learned that there is a filter at the remote tank.

I'm going spend some time in it tomorrow & see for myself whats going on!

Thanks

98410koauka

Cadet

I've got a 115 hp Yamaha that runs fine. I keep getting an audio alarm RANDOMLY!!! It's using oil from the tank & both heads are at 135-140 degrees.
Any ideas on isolating this issue?

For years I too had the same problem with my 1993 115TLRR... three different dealers w/o success. Then reading my Clymer Yamaha outboard shop manual, I found the following; although it speciffically states it's for the 1990 115 & 200 hp engines, it cured my issue!

"Yamaha has determined that there could be a problem with a loose main fuse within the holder on these models. If all 3 oil warning lights flash and the engine rpm reduction is activated, but there doesn't seem to be a problem, a loose main fuse within the holder may cause this false indication. These models are equipped with a loose battery cable warning system and this system can also be activated by a loose connection within the main fuse holder.

If this problem does occur, and the main fuse appears to be loose, remove the main fuse from the holder, carefully squeeze the fuse holder with a pair of pliers to tighten the contact on the fuse. Reinstall the fuse and restart the engine to make sure the problem has been solved. "

I do plan to replace the old "tube" style fuses with an updated spade fuse holder and fuses.

Hope this may be of use to you.