suzuki dt 85 cant keep her running

mattvegas88

Cadet
hi i am a newb and i recently bought a 1987 aries 150 fish and ski that has a suzuki dt 85 hp motor. i can start and idle and rev up the motor and all sounds fine for about five minutes then it dies and i have trouble starting again. the boat sat for a year with out being started. but right before it was put up the carbs were rebuilt. but a full tak of gas was left hooked up to the motor, ive switched to a seperate tank with clean gas, so my ???? is if i use seafoam will it help my motor stay running or should i get them cleaned again? and is there a way to directly put the seafoam in the carbs to help the process or should i just run it through the lines? thank you anything helps

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: suzuki dt 85 cant keep her running

If it will crank and run fine for 5 minuets, You need to check fuel pressure and vacuum, sounds like fuel pump may not be keeping fuel into carb bowls.
Did you try pumping the primer bulb?

I have never been a fan of using fuel additives to see if it will get better. If you run a motor long enough with lean cylinders it will toast a piston. If the carbs need cleaning do it right

mattvegas88

Cadet

i am ordering a new diaphram that was the problem thank you 99yam40. i have a new problem now. it is stuck in fwd or reverse i dont know how to tell which one and i cant get it to go into neutral. is there a way to get to the linkage on the motor end cause the problem isnt in the controls

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

it is stuck in fwd or reverse i dont know how to tell which one and i cant get it to go into neutral. is there a way to get to the linkage on the motor end cause the problem isnt in the controls

Have you removed the cowling and inspected the shift linkage and cable to see what is moving and what is not?

mattvegas88

Cadet

yes i did remove it the clutch shaft came disconnected from the shift rod and idk how to get to it.