2006 4 stroke 150 yamaha ,no power to the hp fuel pump when the key turns on

charlie lyons

Recruit
I have a 2006 Yamaha 4 stroke that ran fine for 2 years,it just recently wouldn't start when i cranked it, I got it to start and run with some starting fluid,but it idled at 1500 rpms ,and after running i shut it off and it immediately restarted ,but still ran high rpms. The next time i tried to start it it wouldn't start at all.after finding the fuel rail unpressurized i checked the hp electric pump.it comes on and pressurizes the rail when jumped.but does not come on when the key is turned on,the fuse is good and the plug to the pump is dead even with the key on. what can i check before i put it in the shop? thanks

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2006 4 stroke 150 yamaha ,no power to the hp fuel pump when the key turns on

A Blue wire & Red/Yellow wire to the HP pump connector.
Power to the HP pump is fused and comes through the Red/Yellow wire. This circuit also powers up the injectors.
The fuse is in the fuse holder portside. The fuse holder box gets battery voltage from the the red wire.

The ECM controls the fuel pump by grounding the blue wire. If all is well the ECM will ground the fuel pump for 3 seconds when the ignition is first cycled to "on". You should hear it run.

charlie lyons

Recruit
Re: 2006 4 stroke 150 yamaha ,no power to the hp fuel pump when the key turns on

I tested the pump and it works if disconnected from the harness and voltage and ground is applied, I checked the fuse and its good.Is there any relays or anything else i can check? and is there a way to check the ecm to see if its not working?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

As he said the ECM controls the pump by grounding the blue wire.
this means that there has to be 12V + on the Red/Yellow wire when the key is in the on position, if it is not there then the ECM can not run the pump.
Have you used a voltmeter to see where 12V+ is and is not?

charlie lyons

Recruit

i took it to the shop and it turns out the fuel pump not turning on was an intermitten problem,the reason it wouldnt start was a corroded wire in the pulsar coil. thank you to all for your help .