1997 40 hp yamaha still no fire

farrel

Recruit
I have put a new stator or ignition coil and I borrowed my friends power pack and coil from his 40 hp japanese mariner and I still have no fire.I even by-passed my kill switch and again no fire.I was told that the pulser coil rarely goes out.On my fluke meter my stator gives me a reading of 136 ohms and my pulser coil gives a reading of 17 ohms.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1997 40 hp yamaha still no fire

how did you bypass the kill switch?

there is a charge coil and 3 pulsar coils( at least my 99 C40 does) that you need to measure the output voltage with a peak reading voltmeter made for these ignition systems, or a DVA adapter and regular meter. The lighting coil is for battery charging, if you have that on your motor. Sounds like you nee to pick up a manual if you are going to work on this motor yourself.
While you are at it measure the outputs of the CDI also.
If you have good voltage into CDI but bad out then it will narrow things down some, along with good in and good out.
Testing is always better that throwing parts at a problem

farrel

Recruit
Re: 1997 40 hp yamaha still no fire

I simply disconnected the white wire .coming out of the cdi mod .This is a 2 cylinder model ,I have a 2 cylinder block
I have 1 lighting coil,1 charge coil or stator ,and only 1 pulser or trigger coil.I do not see a rectifier on my motor.I remember I tried my friends cdi unit before I placed a new stator on my motor and it had no fire.Could it possibly be that
the reason then for no fire would be that I had a bad stator?Would it be worth while for me to get my friends cdi unit again and try to see if I have fire with my new stator in place?If fire then I could order another cdi box.All I have is a fluke meter
to test and I cannot afford to bring it to a shop.