1990 Suzuki DT 140 Tiller

OCSportsman

Seaman
Can anyone tell me if tiller control is available for a 1990 DT 140? I cannot for the life of me find one, and would like to convert from consol to tiller in the near future, or is that going to be possible?

Thanks,
OC

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1990 Suzuki DT 140 Tiller

I was a suzuki dealer from '89 to '01 and i've never seen one. In any case, that's a lot of engine to be hanging on to with a tiller handle. The biggest engine i've ever seen with a tiller was a 115 johnson with a recoil starter YIKES!

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

A 140 hp tiller? are you crazy thats alot of motor.

OCSportsman

Seaman

Seriously? As a dealer the biggest motor with a tiller was a 115? I'm from Oregon, and boats run up and down the rivers all day long with tiller motors up to 200HP. I can't honestly say I have seen very many guides that go with a motor any smaller than a 150, and they all run tiller controls. I guess us westerners are nuts. :D

OCSportsman

Seaman

Here is a pretty standard 20 ft sled that runs the rivers in Oregon, 20 ft open aluminum with a big tiller, this one is a 175hp Yamaha jet.

untitled.png

And here is mine, an 18ft "Duck Bomber" with 140hp Suzuki jet.

2011-10-201739401.jpg

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

me myself prefer the remote control, my arm hand always got too tired of holding the tiller and throttle even on the small outboards for long periods of time.

What are the benefits of switching over to a tiller?

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i stand corrected. but i get tired just holding my kicker in place,but it mounted off to the side and i have to sit on the back of the boat.

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class

The tiller provides the quickest steering, best manuevering in rocky shallow waters. I think they are popular with guides since they put the load and customers in front, directly in his field of vision for safety and liability reasons. Big hp is needed on those jetted sleds given the weight they carry.

This will give you an idea of what they had in that time frame, don't know if the mount is the same or if the 140 had a longer handle for more leverage.http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-DT75..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item20b797a6bf

OCSportsman

Seaman

me myself prefer the remote control, my arm hand always got too tired of holding the tiller and throttle even on the small outboards for long periods of time.

What are the benefits of switching over to a tiller?

The biggest benefit is added floor space, when your trying to land a 30lb salmon the console can get in the way in a hurry. The other is added seating area. If I was only using it for pleasure boating hands down console is the way to go, deffinately less fatigue. I think the biggest difference between boating styles across the country is water styles, in Oregon fast water is king, we don't have a lot of large lakes to boat on.

OCSportsman

Seaman

i stand corrected. but i get tired just holding my kicker in place,but it mounted off to the side and i have to sit on the back of the boat.

I fully understand this, I think having a windshield boat with all the seating in the back it will limit your control abilities. I have an open boat with seats that can be moved around, so I can move my seat back and run the tiller without riding the side.