Suzuki DT 200 removal of lower unit - can not identify a part in the drive casing

boatkpny

Cadet
While removing the lower unit from my 1999 suzuki DT 200 I pulled out the drive shaft and saw in the drive casing a rubber sleeve attached to a metal bushing that is part of the drive shaft casing. The rubber has dissentegrated and appears to be press fitted into the metal bushing. The drive shaft passes right through this. The microfiche does not identify this as a part - what am I looking at and is it replaceable?

boatkpny

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DT 200 removal of lower unit - can not identify a part in the drive casing

Thanks - Another question - the bushing appears to be fused into the casing due to time and heat I guess - what would you recommend as the best way to get it out? Should I heat it or try to cut through it? The outside rubber and the metal bushing is in poor shape. Trying to avoid any damage to the engine casing - thanks again

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki DT 200 removal of lower unit - can not identify a part in the drive casing

I ususlly spray them with penetreting oil and use an old screw driver, drift punch and hammer. If you keep working the rubber part of the grommet it will usually free up and just pry it out. But what ever works. Then clean it up, a little grease, install new bushing.

Don't forget to first remove the circlip.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i have dropped many lower unit, without a picture of what you looking at its hard to help, or which part number are you looking at

boatkpny

Cadet

Great - Got it out based on your recommendation.

I have cleaned up the casing and will use a little grease for reinsertion

What would would you recommend to push the bushing back into the casing? Want to avoid damaging the new bushing?

Thanks Again

boatkpny

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DT 200 reinstallation of the lower unit - shift link pin issue

Thanks - got it done

New issue - got the lower unit installed and all torqued to spec While inserting the shift cable link pin it slipped out of my grips and dropped into the opening. I had another pin and got that one in and put on the cotter pin. It shifts fine but I am concerned with the loose pin. I like to avoid having to pull the lower unit apart just to get to this small link pin. I checked the schematic and it looks like it should not cause an issue. Wha's your opinion?

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it shifts cleanly you are probably OK.