ox 66 2001 200 HP yamaha?

crjron

Cadet
I went out yesterday and ran the boat, it ran fine at all power setting then at 3800 rpm at cruise and about 30 minutes later the engine quit. I pumped the fuel bulb and it ran fine for about 10 minutes then it quit again. I did this until I got the boat out. Questions are, 1. The fuel bulb never felt hard, 2. I looked at the fuel filter on the engine and it showed no water but only had fuel at about 3/4 up the filter by a black line.(is this normal) 3. The only thing that I have done to the engine/ boat recently was about 3 hour earlier I installed a new water/fuel filter. The engine starts on first turn and idles fine and runs smooth. I took out the fuel/water filter to check it but it fell out of my hand, so I could not tell if any water was in it. But, it looked clear and there was a white cap at the top of the filter before I dropped it. Is this how they work, or can they be defective? Boat has not run for 3 months. Thank, Ronnie.

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice
Re: ox 66 2001 200 HP yamaha?

Feel under the filter head where the gasket seals for corrosion.If so the only real cure is to replace it,(you wont regret going with stainless), but you can try coating the rubber gasket on a new filter with a light coat of grease for testing pourposes. If that dosen't help, the next thing inline is the filter in the vst.

crjron

Cadet
Re: ox 66 2001 200 HP Yamaha?

Thank you, new to outboards, I put a new water/fuel sept filter on and started the boat on the water hose and it ran fine. But I noticed that in the fuel filter/bowl on the engine if I pumped the fuel bulb the top half of it had what looked like foam in it. No leaks and only now the engine has 203 hours on it. If this helps water pressure Gage sits around 10 psi, but when engine was acting up it shot up to 20 psi. last owner said and showed receipts for new impeller installation last year. Sorry I have been looking for a boat for 12 years (had to sell the old one when the wife showed me the + sign on the pregnant test, also camper) and now that my kid is older I was finally able to afford one. I love this thing but the wife says to keep it, I have to work on it on the cheap, (do the work yourself mode or see ya.) Thanks for all the help, RV

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice

How was it running before you changed the water separating filter? It still sounds like an air leak to me. The primary filter(on the engine) may not stay completely full but that's ok. The "foam" in it is not normal, and like i said,sounds like an air leak in the fuel system. Substitute a clear piece of hose before the primary filter and look for air bubbles in the hose while running the boat in the water.

crjron

Cadet

Thanks again and the boat ran great until I changed the filter. Only thing that I can not figure out is why it ran like new for the first 30 minutes at all power setting.

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice

Air leaks on the suction side of the fuel system rarely get better and rarely leak fuel unless the leaking component is below the fuel level in the tank.Again,Iwould look very closely at the underside of the filter head for signs of corrosion. A full vst will run the engine for some time. My best guess is that as the air leak got worse,the primary(lift) pumps could not overcome the air leak and supply the vst with fuel.

crjron

Cadet
Re: ox 66 2001 200 HP yamaha?

Update The lp pumps diaphragm had quarter size holes in them. I replaced with new pumps and fuel hose's (one was some kind of vacuum line) Bulb stiff, boat runs great(only 200 hrs on it) I did these 3 days ago. Thanks for all the help,RV

I went out yesterday and ran the boat, it ran fine at all power setting then at 3800 rpm at cruise and about 30 minutes later the engine quit. I pumped the fuel bulb and it ran fine for about 10 minutes then it quit again. I did this until I got the boat out. Questions are, 1. The fuel bulb never felt hard, 2. I looked at the fuel filter on the engine and it showed no water but only had fuel at about 3/4 up the filter by a black line.(is this normal) 3. The only thing that I have done to the engine/ boat recently was about 3 hour earlier I installed a new water/fuel filter. The engine starts on first turn and idles fine and runs smooth. I took out the fuel/water filter to check it but it fell out of my hand, so I could not tell if any water was in it. But, it looked clear and there was a white cap at the top of the filter before I dropped it. Is this how they work, or can they be defective? Boat has not run for 3 months. Thank, Ronnie.[/QUOTE]