2003 Yamaha 200 hp ox 66 saltwater series surging at high rpm

wolff2767

Recruit
Just recently bought a boat with a 2003 Yamaha 200hp 0x 66 saltwater series .Ran it twice before problems arise.While going at wot the motor started surging high to low rpm and smoking excessively .I was able to even it out at low rpm and nurse it back to the marina.Read the forums and replaced the vst filter, high pressure fuel pump filter "which was plugged" .The original owner had the low pressure fuel pumps and vst filter cleaned in June. So i guess I inherited someone else s headache.I took a fuel pressure reading of 35psi at idle.One other thing to mention I replaced the o2 sensor and tube.They were both plugged solid with oil oozing out of orifice.All spark plugs were laden with oil so I changed them.I check the oil linkage and i used a feeler gauge to the engine specs it was OK.There was also an issue with the oil alarm going off because reservoir tank was low.Had a mechanic look at it and he flushed the tank and added new oil.Also he check the gas line and screen going into tank and changed the primer bulb"all with out using any test instruments"?I was told I was getting good gas flow to motor.The only thing I did when I got this boat was start using ring free and putting Yamalube in oil tank and get gas at the marina.I don't think the previous owner used ring free or Yamalube and only used the boat very little,it has 200Hrs on motor.Another observation I made with this motor is that at when I adjust the trim on the motor like around 4 the motor smokes less,trim it down and it smokes more?Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2003 Yamaha 200 hp ox 66 saltwater series surging at high rpm

Clean up your fuel system. Boat fuel filter, engine fuel filter, vst pump filter and there are also filters on your injectors. Check your low pressure fuel pumps.Replace them as a maintenance item.

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice

Your best bet is to use a test tank to make sure the problem is not the boat. Install your fuel pressure gauge and get a reading while the problem is occuring. If the pressure varies and falls,pump the primer bulb to insure that the vst is full. Unless the float or needle in the vst is sticking (haven't seen that one yet),the high pressure pump is probably bad.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny nobody said a word about the o2 sensor.....clean it with a torch. Do NOT use solvent, just burn the crudd off of it....also clean the tube(remove the short little tube between engine and o2 sensor, it cloggs up)....if it's never been cleaned then most likely your problem...should be cleaned every f100 hrs. at least....