1999 200 hp Yamaha Saltwater Series II

windknotnc

Seaman Apprentice
I have come across a 1999 200hp SW2. Motor appears to be in really good shape, but the hrs are not known. Cranks and runs in the shop fine. I plan on doing a compression check, going over the T&T system thoroughly, and checking the lube in the lower unit. Are there any other obvious points I should check? What is this engine worth? Comes with SS prop and side controls. I would need the 704 binacle control though.

(Update: Compression was 120 on 4 cylinders and 115 on 2 cylinders) Does this sound correct to you experts on this engine?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1999 200 hp Yamaha Saltwater Series II

compression sounds good. I had one of those motors, I wish I had never sold it. that is one of the best built motors you can get in my opinion. If it has been taken care of.

robert graham

Admiral

It's probably fine, But your purchase should be based contingent on running motor on the river for a "sea trial". I understand that may be hard to do since it's not mounted on your boat yet, but a motor can run fine "at the shop", but have issues out on the water under load, at higher RPM's. Otherwise you'll be buying a "pig in a poke", so to speak. Hope it turns out great for you and good luck!:)

SparkieBoat

Captain

o yea with SS prop and side controls, I would give $2500-3000 for that motor if I wanted it and it was in very good condition..