1993 Yamaha 25HP Wiring

markandclark

Cadet
Ok, I just purchased a 1993 yamaha 25hp precision blend engine. The model # is 25ELRR here is a link to all the diagrams on the yamaha website.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=outboard

My problem is that there is no battery cables for the electric start and some extra wires are coming out of the control box. So I have a couple of questions. Are the battery cables just two wires or is it a whole new wiring harness? Do the battery cables go straight into the engine or do they go into the control box and where do I connect the battery cables if they do go into the engine and what are the extra wires coming out of the control box for?

I have searched and searched on the internet but can't find a answer.

Thanks

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1993 Yamaha 25HP Wiring

Two big cables, one positive, one negative. They run from the battery, into the engine. Find a ground stud near the starter for the negative cable, and there should be a starter solenoid to connect the positive cable to.. There should also be a shorter cable running from the solenoid to the starter on a different stud on that solenoid than where you'll put the positive cable.

Extra wires might be for trim and tilt. Are they red, green and blue?, or possibly tach wiring.

markandclark

Cadet

thanks fo the info so it sounds like I could just make my own battery cables and save some money or should I buy factory cables? Also the wires coming out the the control box are yellow, black, green, and white. There is an electric choke switch on the control box would those wires have any thing to do with the the choke? Also how do the electric choke work?

Thanks

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

I won't say what I'm nor sure of, so no positive answer on the wires. I think that yellow is +, black is -, white is what's called off ground, don't ask me why, and green, I'm not sure.
You can make your own cables, I've done it. Solder then crimp the cable ends and use heat shrink over the connections. Use 4 gauge copper and match your holes in the connectors to the studs you put them on.
If it's truly a choke system, there should be a solenoid to operate the butterfly/choke, activated by the switch on the control box. 12V

markandclark

Cadet

Ok so I think I'll make my own battery cables. And I'll just tuck the extra wires somewhere because when I bought it the guy had it running and the were not hitched up to anything. I'll have to check on the electric choke beacause I don't now how it works. Anyways I was also wondering about decals for my motor. According to the website link above they are discontinued so I was wondering if there were any aftermarket ones?

Thanks