2002 yamaha 2 stroke, 70 hp, need to pump bulb to get gas into it

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottconsoli

Cadet
My freind has a 2002 yamaha, 2 stroke, 70 hp outboard that runs great, recently its been boggong out like its not getting fuel, when you pump the fuel bulb it seems to be for the amount of time till it burns that fuel you pumped in, Is this a fuel pump issue, can a fuel pump be partially bad? When its full throttle it doesnt do it, maybe because the engine is drawing the fuel out?

Groundhog2

Cadet
First, I cannot find out how one does a NEW POST or starts a NEW THREAD in this forum. How do you do that ?
Meanwhile: I too have a 70hp (2000 model) Yamaha 2 stroke motor. Low hours, maybe 100 on it. The symptom is that it will start just fine and run for about 3 or 4 minutes and then quit. Stumble,quits. I have replaced the entire fuel path from the tank to the engine including line connectors and squeeze bulb, filter at the engine, etc. By passed the water separator filter just to eliminate it. NO CHANGE. Also replaced the fuel pump. No change. Am running (or trying to run) 90 octane non-ethanol fuel with Seafoam additive. If I use the squeeze bulb I can keep it running. Restarts easily. Several mechanics baffled so far. With 3 carbs can't see how it is them. Have run 1qt jug of fuel mixture thru it by inserting at the screen filter inlet short hose and ran for 20 min at 2500 rpm there. Baffling.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
First, I cannot find out how one does a NEW POST or starts a NEW THREAD in this forum. How do you do that ?
Meanwhile: I too have a 70hp (2000 model) Yamaha 2 stroke motor. Low hours, maybe 100 on it. The symptom is that it will start just fine and run for about 3 or 4 minutes and then quit. Stumble,quits. I have replaced the entire fuel path from the tank to the engine including line connectors and squeeze bulb, filter at the engine, etc. By passed the water separator filter just to eliminate it. NO CHANGE. Also replaced the fuel pump. No change. Am running (or trying to run) 90 octane non-ethanol fuel with Seafoam additive. If I use the squeeze bulb I can keep it running. Restarts easily. Several mechanics baffled so far. With 3 carbs can't see how it is them. Have run 1qt jug of fuel mixture thru it by inserting at the screen filter inlet short hose and ran for 20 min at 2500 rpm there. Baffling.

No changes since you started this thread in 2015 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...1787-steering-cables-stuck-in-yamaha-70-horse

Look at Rules and Guidelines by clicking on Forum Help in my sig. It also covers about posting in old threads.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.