2003 yamaha 115 4 stroke bogs down, misses badly above idle

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 2003 yamaha 115 4 stroke bogs down, misses badly above idle

sounds like a good deal there.

Riptideusa

Recruit

sent injectors out and installed a new thermostat..still the same start up high idle and rough idle

srilee

Cadet

Hey guys. If anyone is still monitoring this thread I would GREATLY appreciate any advice you can offer. I have a 2005 Yamaha 115 F motor. Last season without warning the motor lost power and started smoking badly. I immediately shut it down and got towed in. I took the boat to a certified Yamaha dealer in Charlotte and they found that the #3 cylinder had come to pieces and the ring snapped and sent metal flying everywhere. We opted to replace the power head. We also had the injectors sent off to Yamaha to be sure we didn?t have a problem there. I have currently have 4 hours on the new motor and still working through the break in period. Last weekend I noticed oil leaking from the base of the motor at the water line. After removing the cowling I noticed oil coming from the intake. Again, I got towed in to be safe and towed the boat to the dealer for immediate inspection. I got a call from the dealer today. Again, the #3 cylinder is failing and the ring is broken. The dealer called Yamaha who immediately started back peddling stating that this is a fuel issue (ethanol). My question to the dealer is why the exact same issue on the exact same cylinder??? Since we replaced the powered isn?t there just as much of a chance that the computer or some other component that I have no clue about is to blame?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

It would be best if you started your own thread on your motor.
Never heard of Yamaha taking injectors for testing,
where did you send them, and did they find anything wrong with them?

srilee

Cadet

Not a problem. As for the injectors I don't know. Just what the dealer told me. They did however say that they tested good.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice to see rodbolt on again.....hate to see so many hijacks on a thread....can't you all ask your own question with your own info????
One thing is evident from this post....ethanol is bad, and the lack of education on it is even worse....you CANNOT stabilize ethanol, unless you make it inert itself. The only answer to storage is don't, run it out and store boat with pure gasoline in vst and not for very long.
Wish someone like Don or rod would post a clinic on here....don't think most look at the stickies.

srilee

Cadet

These forums are “typically” designed to share knowledge and ideas. Thank you for the condescending answer jackass. No need to reply I'm out to a more diplomatic and respectful forum.

rusty0369

Cadet
Okay guys, gotta get in on this. I have a 2011 f115 doing everything that has been mentioned through out this posting. I took to a dealer, they replaced two of the four injectors. Boat ran fairly well all last summer. Parked it for the winter with 1/8 tank of gas, filled with sea foam and ran for two hours on the muffs. Was confident that fuel system was laid up for the winter. Filled tank to the top and added 1/2 bottle of sea foam.

This spring I pull the boat out, idled for two hours and sounded like a champ. Ran on lake for 2 hours then lost all power after 4500 rpms. When I ease up to full speed it'll start to miss. I can trim the motor up and get a bit more but never over 4800 rpms. I put all new filters in, all new injectors, pumped fuel into work truck out of the on board tank. I then added a fresh 5 gallons of gas. Darn thing is still doing the same thing. Took to dealer, found gas in oil, change #4 injector as it was stuck open. They drained the VST, which I can not figure out how they did it.

So short of changing the ECU and the coils I'm at a loss. Oh, forgot to mention that I also changed the fuel bulb incase that was the issue.

I could sure use some help with this.

Primo62

Recruit
I had the same problem with my 2001 yamaha 115 four stroke...same motor...different year on my Bennington pontoon. I had my marine mechanic look at it. He basically went through the entire fuel system. Pulled out the gas tank, flushed it, air blew it dry, cleaned/blew all the fuel lines, new filters, sent out the injectors and had them all cleaned reset/adjusted I guess, put everything back together....works like a charm now. No more problems. I use fuel STABILIZER ALL THE TIME and ONLY PREMIUM gas. Pay the extra $10 a tank and save thousand of dollars and down time. Cost me over $2500 for the fix....that was 4 years ago