1989 Suzuki DT85 Ignition/wiring problems/controls

gray5841

Recruit
I am having some issues while trying to start an 89 Suzuki DT85 I recently picked up. If I put power right to the starter the motor will turn over. The problem is that the power tilt and trim on the controls will not work nor will the motor crank over by the key.

How far should the key turn? Right now the key barely turns and when released returns to top and you can hear a single click. Is that normal or should it turn more and stay turned?

Also anyone have a good clear wiring diagram for that motor and control box?

Thanks,

OBC1

Recruit
Re: 1989 Suzuki DT85 Ignition/wiring problems/controls

check with browns marine they have a large site for suzukis and microfische diagrams

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i have factory manual for that engine, there are 2 fuses under hood. check them.

gray5841

Recruit

Stylesabu,

I have checked both fuses and they are good. I have power to the controls now, I think the main wire connection was loose. Now my issue is the actual ignition. I have the 104 ign, it only turns a tiny amount I put a pair of pliers to it and can turn it further but it is turning both the part that the key slips on and the "shaft" that it is attached to. Their is a "key" to hold that inner shaft in place while the key is turned when i use the pliers (and it being a plastic unit) it forces the "key out of its slot but the controls then have power. Not really sure what is going on or if it can be fixed may have to break down and buy a new ignition.

Thanks for the reply and let me know if you have any further insight!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't you think that if you need a pliers to turn the key that perhaps a new ignition switch is needed?? They are sealed units and therefore not repairable. The switch has three distinct positions OFF, RUN and START. Pushing in on the key while in the START position activates the choke/primer system if it has that type of enrichment system.

gray5841

Recruit

Silvertip,

Normally yes but this unit set outside for quite some time and thought that it might just be seized up or stuck and a little extra force could free it up. I like to try every avenue of fixing my stuff before throwing new parts and money at it. Forcing it to turn like I did allowed me to find out that my controls are working and that the ignition works just not properly.

James R

Commander

I second Silvertip's motion. You can play with the switch but it will fail down the road and probably in the middle of the pond. Look on Ebay for a replacement.

jhnbrwr

Recruit

If you find you need parts let us know, we are parting out a 98 dt85 ...engine is fine we needed lower unit and decided to by a new motor