Yamaha 250 ox66-- remote oil tank filters

I keep having problems with filters clogging up. I have purchased new oem filters and replaced several times. Also took tanks out and cleaned from top to bottom and still have problems with them clogging up. Any help?? or maybe different filter to use??

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 250 ox66-- remote oil tank filters

as long as you use good oil and do not introduce contaminates in with it you should not have problem

Cheaper oil will clog filters?? There is no contaminates being mixed in and tanks and lines were just cleaned.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Something is plugging the filters and good Yamaha recommended oil and other ones that meet the specs will not clog the filters unless moisture or some other contaminants get into the system.
Some of the cheap ones could gel

So u think cheap oil will do that??? I have been using oil that was on sale at west marine. It was cheap.. 12.00 a gallon?

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

have you cleaned out you oil tank completely?

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Using cheap oil can certainly lead to this...and enough time will make even the best oil do this....but stuff like Pennzoil and that blue and white bottle from walmarts will almost gaurentee problems with sludge in bottom of tank....even if you run your motor(s) 200 hrs a year(like less than 10percent of people do) then you are only saving a few dollars...at the risk of big money for new engine....you can use merc, bombardier, suzuki or yami oil...just pick one. Other than that, make sure cap is sealing to keep out humidity....good luck.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I keep having problems with filters clogging up. I have purchased new oem filters and replaced several times. Also took tanks out and cleaned from top to bottom and still have problems with them clogging up. Any help?? or maybe different filter to use??

Describe how you are cleaning the tank and the hoses.

What oil are you using that is plugging up the filters?

Do you have a remote fill tank ?

Describe how you are cleaning the tank and the hoses.

What oil are you using that is plugging up the filters?

Do you have a remote fill tank ?

I cleaned lines extensively... the remote tank it the tank I am refering to with the small filters. I was using the west marine oil.