2006 suzuki 90hp df dies at full throttle

mathews3

Recruit
Im having a huge problem with my outboard, it is dying at full throttle, i bought it new on '07 and i've been having the problem ever since i bought it.

it is still under extended warranty, ive had the fuel pickup replaced in the boat and the throttle cables ajusted and spark plugs replaced, and its been in and out of the shop constantly.

its an intermittent issue, i can run it all weekend with no problems and then run it the next day and it'l die 8 to 12 times, ive ran it on a seperate fuel tank and it dies with that too.

i've had it to 2 different suzuki dealers and they cant duplicate the problem and ive talked to 6 dealers in the state and no ones ever heard of the problem.

ive talked to suzuki warranty over 10 times and they wont do anything for me, so if anyone has dealt with this issue any info would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks, Tj

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2006 suzuki 90hp dt dies at full throttle

You need to find out if it is loosing spark or fuel when this is happening.
Spark tester or fuel pressure gauge maybe will help.
Does it start right back up or what ?

mathews3

Recruit

it is very hard to get it started after it dies, it will start, idle rough and die 2 or 3 times before it starts again.

when i run it on a seperat 6 gal fuel tank the fuel bulb will compress when i run at full throttle, every time the fuel bulb doesn't compess the motor will die. it takes about 15 to 20 seconds to compress the fuel bulb after the boat planes out.

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: 2006 suzuki 90hp df dies at full throttle

sounds to me that you are loosing fuel pressure for some reason.
the hard and rough restarting is because there is not enough fuel in the high pressure side of the fuel system.
you should get the vst checked out, float could also be the problem.
the regulator is also possible but unlikely.

borryking

Recruit
Re: 2006 suzuki 90hp df dies at full throttle

I have been having similar issues with my 2009 DF100. Mine will sometimes only make about half power out of the hole, and other times will drop back to idle or cut out while underway (15-20kts). Like yours it is intermittent, will run perfect one day then have problems the next. I haven't yet found the problem, but know of a DF115 with a similar problem. Shut down and reprime using the bulb seems to rectify the issue. Seeing as yours has problems on a tote tank (assuming it is venting correctly) you may want to try some of the following:

Drain VST and check for debris. If found you will need to replace the low and high pressure fuel filters, clean the injectors and clean the VST including suction screen on bottom of fuel pump. Run some injector cleaner through the tank.

Check for fuel hose degradation. Are you using ethanol based fuel? This has been known to delaminate the internals of fuel hoses.

Check for kinks in fuel lines

Check for kinks / blockages in vent hose from VST

Check for adequate water flow through fuel cooler and check hoses for kinks. There have been problems with fuel vapourising in the fuel rails when getting hot. What water / ambient temperatures are you running in?

I am in the process of replacing the soft Suzuki fuel hose from the primer bulb to the low pressure filter with 5/16" braided automotive fuel hose. There have been multiple instances of this hose being sucked flat under high flows, particularly when it is hot.

Other items to check:

Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight and have nylock nuts not wing nuts.

Check the connection of the ECU power cable at both ends. It is the white cable from the VSR (if you have one) to the ECU. Intermittent voltage drops have been known to cause strange problems.

If you find the problem with your engine I will be very interested to know the cause.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

it is very hard to get it started after it dies, it will start, idle rough and die 2 or 3 times before it starts again.

when i run it on a seperat 6 gal fuel tank the fuel bulb will compress when i run at full throttle, every time the fuel bulb doesn't compess the motor will die. it takes about 15 to 20 seconds to compress the fuel bulb after the boat planes out.

I would not think the bulb should compress/flatten out unless there is a restriction causing that to happen.
I would tee in a fuel pressure/vacuum gauge at different points of the fuel sysetm to see what is going on