Suzuki DT 225 Battery cable guage size?

Turbojoe78

Cadet
Hi all,

New member here, I have a 1998 Suzuki DT 225 that I bought used and I'm trying to install on my boat. I got all the wiring, cables and gauges with it and what looks to be the battery cables just don't seem right.

There is a black plastic plug on one end with two female connectors built into it, coming from that there are two black wires connected to each other that look to be around 6 to 8 gauge and about 6 feet long. attached to each wire with butt connectors is another 8 feet or so of 6 to 8 gauge wire.

I don't mind making up my own battery wires and just wanted to know what gauge wire the motor came stock with.

My other question is, would it be any better to go with a thicker gauge wire than stock, or would that just make it more difficult to get it through the rubber grommet going into the engine cover.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Joe Callahan

Turbojoe78

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DT 225 Battery cable guage size?

Any one out there have a guess on stock battery cable gauge size for a 98 DT225??

The positive wire from the starter relay to the starter looks to be 6 or 8 gauge wire, I don't have the stock battery cables and would like to build new ones that are either the same size as stock or one size larger.

First time outboard guy trying to get into the water this weekend.

Thanks
Joe C

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

for a cable run of less than 6 ft you can use #4 battery cable.

Turbojoe78

Cadet

Thanks Rodbolt, that's just what I was hoping someone would say.

I have a set of #4 awg and a set of #2 awg all made but was concerned that the #2 wire would be too thick to get through the engine cover.

I'll probably end up with about a 4' run from the motor to the battery switch (when I get one) as the motor is mounted on a bracket extending back from the transom about 24".

Again, thanks for the help.
Joe C

Turbojoe78

Cadet

Hooked up the #4 cables yesterday and fired up the motor after over a year of not running and engulfed myself in the sweet smell of burning two stroke oil.

All is good, can't wait to get it in the water and see what it'll do.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If it sat for a year I sure hope you have cleaned up the fuel system good enough , I sure do not want you having to post about blown pistons from lean running cylinders

Turbojoe78

Cadet

I'm running it from a clean plastic remote tank right now.

I got the boat and motor from different people and the guy that sold me the boat said the guy that sold it to him told him there was a problem with bad gas and had removed the floor cover over the tank, removed the sender and drained all the gas.

I didn't want to take a chance with fuel problems, that's why I'm using the plastic tank. I'm going to remove the boat tank in the spring and make sure it's good and clean before hooking it up to the engine.

Thanks for the thoughts 99yam40