Yamaha 200HP Oil Transfer Issues. No automatic Transfer

mustang5

Cadet
Hi to all, and I like the looks of the new forum.

Ok, here goes.

The automatic filling of the motor side tank is not working. It will go to the low mark and just start the buzzer, red light.

The toggle switch transfers oil immediately, so I assume pump is fine and transfer lines.

The light on gauge when key is on is GREEN.

Have done the following:
- Replaced CDI
- Replaced engine tank level sensor
- Replaced oil pump.
- Checked all wiring with ohm tests, voltage and so forth. All seems to check out.

Basically, when key is switched to on, The blue wire will not ground from the CDI. I have two CDIs and niether will ground. Checked this with multimeter on brown wire (Full positive), and the blue pin coming out of CDI.

I have run through the manuals diagnostics and am at a total loss now.

Have just bought the boat and not even used it so much dissapointed.

So, where to from here? The boat does not have a tilt gauge but I am not sure if this has anything to do with it. There is the tilt bracket on the tilt unit so I am thinking this is my last avenue??

Surely the two CDIs I have cant be the problem. But I suppose stranger things have happened.

Motor is a 92 Yamaha 200hp beto. 300hrs on the clock.

Thanks in advance. :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 200HP Oil Transfer Issues. No automatic Transfer

I have read that some will not transfer without the motor running, but have no idea if that is your problem.

mustang5

Cadet

I have read that some will not transfer without the motor running, but have no idea if that is your problem.

Yep I have too. But read that it was for 95 onwards. could be wrong and will probably be the first thing to try in the morning. 12am here. Big long frustrating and expensive day.

mustang5

Cadet

Checked all connections again. Ran it for 20 minutes to no avail.

With ignition on, and float in the low position on engine tank, and the green light on the gauge, I get only 3v from the CDI trigger ground (Blue wire), and positive. And this was tested straight out of the CDI.

Get the same from both CDIs though.

mustang5

Cadet

Well had a few beers, thought even though I have been told it wasnt the tilt sensor due to getting a green light and not a yellow light, I would test it anyways.

Cut the three wires, bridged the pink wire to the ground wire and wallah... Solved.. Tilt sensor.

Yamaha need to update there troubleshooting I think :wink: ...

Glad I got it sorted.. Phew. Might take it out on the water at last. Until the next problem... haha.

Thanks again to all that have helped and listened to my ranting.

Mechanic today also found a voltage drop from the control box to the CDI. So will fix that tomorrow. 12.6 at battery, 10.4 at CDI.

Cheers

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Here is an article that may help you understand the system, and it does mention the trim sender (for certain models) that has to work to transfer the oil.

Yamaha does mention that in their troubleshooting guides. You may be using an aftermarket manual.

http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=942859

YamahaOilXfertroubleshooting.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well I am medicated so I cannot call anyone an idiot.
but the transfer for precision blend is so easy a cave man can do it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

there again
I apogize.
bump the post up and ill try to explain how your sytem works, in the mean time can ya post a full model number.

mustang5

Cadet

Yes, I followed that troubleshooting guide. And if you take a look, it mentions nothing about a tilt sensor if I am getting a green light....

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Yes, I followed that troubleshooting guide. And if you take a look, it mentions nothing about a tilt sensor if I am getting a green light....

You read the chart wrong. If you go to the NO box, a line connects it to the box that says TEST GREEN WIRE LEAD. That is the end of that troubleshooting. The box below that is NOT connected by a line to the TEST GREEN WIRE LEAD box.

See the TRANSFER PUMP OPERATES box? to the right of that you have 2 choices, one above the other. One asks if the trim gauge works and the other says to OHM check harness if it does.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and thats why I asked for a model number.
V6 2.6l from 1990 to 1995 used the trim sender for the oil control module to allow or dissallow automatic oil transfer.
ALL 3.1L engines ONLY used a pulser coil signal for engine run to allow automatic oil transfer.
v6 2.6L to 1990 used a mercury switch as did the V4 until about 2004.
from 2004 and if the module has been replaced since about 2004 there is now a green wire that runs to the CDI for a pulser coil input.
mercury switches kind of fell out of favor with the EPA.
so we have a 200, is it a 2.6l 200 of what time frame? is it a 3.1L maybe a Z200?
but like seahorse pointed out, reading comprehension is a good skill to use.