40 hp yamaha won't idle

UA72

Cadet
I have a 40 hp yamaha outboard that won't idle or run good at slow speeds when in idle it runs about 15 seconds then shuts off at low speeds it sounds like it wants to bog but if you give it full throtle it will take off and run fine, back about a month ago I got some water in the gas at a country store once I narrowed it down I drained the tank .fuel lines and carb. I put good gas in it and unplugged the gas line and ran it till it ran out of gas but I stll have this problem can anybody help me thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 40 hp yamaha won't idle

I have a 40 hp yamaha outboard that won't idle or run good at slow speeds when in idle it runs about 15 seconds then shuts off at low speeds it sounds like it wants to bog but if you give it full throtle it will take off and run fine, back about a month ago I got some water in the gas at a country store once I narrowed it down I drained the tank .fuel lines and carb. I put good gas in it and unplugged the gas line and ran it till it ran out of gas but I stll have this problem can anybody help me thanks

pull and clean the carbs

UA72

Cadet

Is pulling the carbs the only way to get the water out can't something be added to the fuel

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

pull and clean or end up chasing this problem for a while and even end up with more problems

AndrePSP

Cadet

dont know if you got it fixed. but my 40 horse had similar issues. I rebuilt carbs ne,w gas tank/filter, and what ever. turned out it was my switch box.

mdawson28

Cadet

dont know if you got it fixed. but my 40 horse had similar issues. I rebuilt carbs ne,w gas tank/filter, and what ever. turned out it was my switch box.

what is a switch box?
do you mean a cdi unit on the side of the motor?