Yamaha VMAX 150 - 2001 - Electrical Issues

wschwarz2010

Cadet
I finally got my boat ready and fired up and coughed out the fogging etc. Idled well at 800 and sounded great! Shut it off and returned about ten minutes later to run and nothing. :confused: I checked the fuses all looked good and I spoke to a friend who said it might be the selinode or ignition. Info is: that the trim doesn't work, no clicking when I push in the choke - NOTHING. Any advise would be great.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha VMAX 150 - 2001 - Electrical Issues

Sounds like battery, or battery cables/ connections

wschwarz2010

Cadet

Thanks all - it ended up being a selinoide. Went to the local dealer picked on up and all is well. Now I have another issue. Please look at my new post and thanks for the help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wasnt a solinoid.
the starter solinoid,relay on a yamaha, is independant of the trim relay.
you can take the starter off and the trim still works.
you had a bad connection.
the power tap for the trim comes off the battery positive post of the start relay.

wschwarz2010

Cadet

Thanks! Everything was tight and seemed good. All I did was disconnect the solinoid and reconnect it and it fired. Never touched a battery cable or anything. Chalk it up to luck, a new free solinoid and a gremlin. Thanks all.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

From what I understand the positive battery cable is connected to the start relay, so not sure how you changed the relay without disconnecting it

wschwarz2010

Cadet

Yup, your right - I disconnected the battery before I changed the solinoid. I "never touched the power cable" ment I didn't check it. It was tight the the battery which was charged, before I made the change. I guess I could still have a problem after all. If the solinoid was not the issue some other electrical gremlin still exsists.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You do understand that the positive battery cable has 2 ends to it, one on the battery positive post and the other on the start relay. When you disconnected the start relay you removed the connection that we were talking about that maybe the problem.
Lots of times the connection may not be loose but just not making good connection due to corrosion/ oxidation.
How did you end up with a free start relay?

wschwarz2010

Cadet

If a start relay is the same name for a solinoid, then a friend who sells boats sent me one. I have worked with his shop in the past. Nice guy.