96' Suzuki Dt 75 hp alarm trouble shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a problem with my Suzuki... Runs great, except that it recently just started to act up... there is an alarm that is going off only at higher rpms. cant tell which alarm that it is? I do have a multi function suzuki guage, but i dont know if its working correctly or not. when i run the motor above 3500 rpm's or so, the alarm sounds and the rev limiter initiates until i bring it back down to slow speed. the temperature light on the guage sometimes flashes and sometimes stays on. sometimes it doesnt come on at all. I can be running the motor for hours at low speed with no problems, although the light on the guage does come on or stay on sometimes??? when the alarm does sound at higher speed, and i stop the boat, the motor does not seem to be too hot. its hot, but i can hold my hand on the block for 5 seconds or more without any problems. The oil reservoir is full, its peeing water excellent, and i dont believe its running over the normal operating range.... could this be a faulty sensor, or should i take it more serioulsy? how would i go about checking this out to eliminate all possiblities? I do have a manual, but sometimes it makes more sense to me in lamens terms. Thanks in advance for any advice, i really do appreciate it. thanks, Matt

jiggin joe

Cadet
Re: 96' Suzuki Dt 75 hp alarm trouble shooting?

Sounds like thermostat problems.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the heads up Joe... I'll look into that and get back to ya..

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well... I pulled out the thermostat and the problem still persists. When i disconnect the engine temp sensor, i get no alarms but this worries me because im not sure when the motor is getting too hot or not. WAS ABLE TO TOUCH THE MOTOR AFTER RUNNING AT WOT FOR A FEW MINUTES BUT IT DID FEEL A LIL WARMER THAN USUAL. TO BE HONEST I FEEL LIKE I HAVE BEEN USING LESS OIL? WOULDNT THIS BE A BIG PROBLEM RELITIVELY QUICK IF IM NOT GETTING ENOUGH OIL? WHAT TO DO NEXT? THANKS

adracer

Cadet

Just had a similar problem. I have a DVOM with a temperature probe. Was able to check the actual temp per specs. Normal operating temp for my engine was 118-126. It was in the range and the thermostat was opening and closing properly. Turns out my engine is a premix only but had the low oil wire in the harness which was shorting to the choke solenoid wire. A little rubber tape worked wonders.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input, but my problem persists... I tested the engine temp sensor and it seems to be opening/closing near 190 F* and 212 F* so I think that it is working correctly. Unfortunately, I think that my motor must be running hot, but only at higher Rpm's (somewhere near 4000 to WOT) is when the alarm sounds and then quickly goes off after slowing down. Is it my oil not flowing, water pump,etc. what and how should I check first. Thanks for any help, Matt

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone have any other ideas?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Replace your oil flow sensor/filter under the oil reservoir ....

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replace your oil flow sensor/filter under the oil reservoir ....

Right on!!! That was going to be my guess also.
I just replaced mine on a 1988 DT 115. The filter/flow sensor was under $ 20. Inexpensive maintenance may prevent potential expensive damage.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys. I'll replace that asap... p.s. I took the boat out again the other day just planning to run it slow as to avoid the buzzer thats been going off. took her out about 5 miles and she ran fine all day. However, On the way back in i pushed it to WOT for a few minutes to see what she would do? eventually, the warning system did trip and the motor restricted rpms until i slowed down. Im perplexed because the alarm didn't sound like normal? Instead, it was sounding like it was making an intermittent connection and chirping like really quick beeps that were muffled? does this sound like a shot buzzer or a loose connection? Im thinking i should just take it apart and have a look-see? what do you think? thanks, Matt

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replace the oil flow sensor, water temp sensor, and the head gasket and runs like a top... thanks guys...

jgil

Recruit
motor alarm going off will check the problem turns over plugs remove install plugs starter turns not motor just makes noise i will check starter

Status
Not open for further replies.