suzuki dt85 wont go into gear but will go into reverse

wittylou7582

Cadet
i have a suzuki dt85 (i think 1985) that i pulled off a open bow fiberglass boat and put it on my 1985 hydra sports bass boat that i restored. i had it out on the water for two days. the first day when i tried to give it a lot of gas, it would stall out. i noticed the plugs were loading up so i got new ones and brought it out the second day (yesterday) i was able to get the boat going a good 50 mph then i shut the motor off for about 2 minutes and when i started it back up, i tried putting it into gear, and it simply wouldnt go. the more gas i gave it, the higher the rpm's. but it would go into reverse. i looked at the linkage and it looks like the shifter cables are doing there job. i took the lower unit out last night and cannot see anything wrong. the only thing i found was that my lower unit gearcase oil was really milky (i found the gasket that i assume is letting this water in) but nothing led me to why it wasnt going into gear. i heard it could be a rubber piece in my propeller or it could be because the fact my shifter cables are all bundled up because they are too long for my boat. if you have any ideas please let me know. thanks

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: suzuki dt85 wont go into gear but will go into reverse

ok you dropped lower unit, can you shift it now? you'll feel it "snap" in to gear. also you'll know when you spin prop,drive shaft will turn.as long as lower unit is down replace seals and water pump.your linkage will probably need to be adjusted. I have factory manual for this engine.I hope this isn't a salt water engine

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi wittylou,
Also make sure the gear shift lever where the cable connects to the motor is shifting all the way forward as it should. You may need to pull the cables off to check. I had the same problem with mine and came to find out all I had to do was adjust the cables and all is well now. i hope this is it because it is an easy fix. Good Luck!

wittylou7582

Cadet

thank you, that helps greatly. my gears are all good. but now i have another problem. somehow the shift rod popped out of the lower unit and i am having a really hard time getting it back in where it needs to be. i can get it in the hole but i can't get it to where i can feel it going into the gears by lifting up/down.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you locate the problem? You are probably going to have to pull the lower unit. At the end of the rod there is a spring and ball bearing. I have a feeling they have popped out. You'll need a manual and I would do a board search that may help you with your problem. Good Luck!!

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a dt75 lower unit apart right now, I can send pictures if you need

wittylou7582

Cadet

i already have the lower unit off. i found that the little ball had came out of a spring. i had troubles getting the ball out from underneath the pin but ended up getting the ball back into the spring. i heard i had to hold the shaft and spin the propeller clockwise to make it so the gears are in neutral. i am having trouble how to get the shift rod back in correctly. if you could send pictures that would be great.