Suzuki DT 140 tilt/ trim problem

oldboat2

Cadet
I have an older 1996 DT 140. The boat was in storage all winter.
I charged up the battery and my tilt/trim motor makes noise (like it does when it works ok) but it won't go up or down.
I loosened the cap on the reservoir and fluid came out.
Both switches work fine.
Any ideas?
Any way to move it manually?

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki DT 140 tilt/ trim problem

You need to check the fluid level with the engine full up. Here is the process to raise it manually.

Loosen the straight slot screw on the left side of the engine holder bracket several turns but DO NOT take it out. You will need help from the friend or chain hoist. Lift the engine to the full tilt postition and tighten the screw. Wait several minutes before checking/filling the fluid. Use automatic transmition fluid.

Lower the unit by loosening the screw. Tighten the screw. Wait 5 minutes.

Open the screw, raise, tighten the screw, wait 5 min. and check/fill.

Lower...

Open the screw, raise...

Do this until you can't fill the unit any longer. Hopefully this will get your unit moving again.

oldboat2

Cadet

Thanks for the help-I'm going to be doing this on my own so how many times do you think it will take?
Just plain auto trans fluid OK?

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

I need to change the above procedure slightly, I was lazy and didn't get off the couch to look at the manual yesterday. It has been a while since I had to do this.

After the inicial raise using the manual screw, use the motor to lower and raise the engine. The 5 minute wait is very important, it is so the air can migrate out of the fluid. Only remove the fill cap when the engine is in the UP position.

To answer your reply, it shouldn't take more than the first manual raise to get you running on the pump again IF low fluid is you problem. No need to speculate on other causes yet. I have tried and could not lift the engine alone without the help of a chain hoist.

Use Dextron II or higher fluid. I had to use Dextron III and didn't run into any issues with mixing fluids besides it is nearly impossible to drain the unit without fully dissaembling it.

fluidspin

Recruit

I have a 2002 df140 that is having tilt\trim issues. Manually lifting the motor, it will stay up and not sag down at all but will not tilt up. You can hear motor running as normal but wont lift motor. Tilting down works great. Also motor will trim down and up, but slower than normal. Have already changed and bled fluid, but no difference. No apparent fluid leaks are visible. Marine shop said "need a whole new ptt" WTF!! PTT for $2400 seems ludicrous. There must be a way to trouble shoot this issue, and replace the bad part!! Please Help!!!