1992 Yamaha 200 HP HELP!!!!!!

buffhunter

Cadet
I have a 1992 200hp It ran great till 2 weeks ago I took it to the lake and at first it hit its 5800 rpms but then bogged down to about 4700. and would never go any better. I brought it to my mechanic and he said it had a lean pop. So he checked all the spark and that was good, but the idle wouldent change when he took the #6 plug wire off. So he checked the compression and it was 95 across the board. He then took the carb apart and found one of the O rings was shot, fixed it and the lean pop went away. So I took it to the lake 3 hours away and it dogged to get on plane and max RPMS 4500. When I went to move I couldent even get it on plane. Any help would be appreciated

Thx

Dom

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Yamaha 200 HP HELP!!!!!!

look on that mechanics wall, if they dont have,at a minimum,school certs from Yamaha for electrical and fuel systems take a mulligan and use the dealer locator function and find a dealership with trained techs and a test wheel.
sounds like one or more carbs still have debris in them.

buffhunter

Cadet

The closest cert tech is 150mi away the one here in tucson sucks and he sends all the work to the guy working on my boat. We omed the plug wires and a few would not get a steady reading so we changed them all out and the boat fires up right away and does not smoke as much and dosent smell rich anymore. Do you think that could of been the problem????

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no good way to ohm the plug wires,caps yes, wires no.

buffhunter

Cadet

Gonna clean out all 3 carbs today see if I can find any problems there?????

buffhunter

Cadet

Went to the lake 3 hrs away boat wont get over 2500 rpms. Took the air box off and sprayed ether in each carb one at a time the top carb bogged it down the middle carb bogged it down but the bottom carb made it kick up 1000 rpms real quick. Now im really confused considering all the carbs are pretty much brand new. The boat is still hard to start and smokes quite a bit when it starts up and revs up. Anybody??????????????????????

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your test results showed that the bottom carb is not spraying fuel. Tear it down and find the restriction. Check that gas is getting into the carb, etc.
Maybe the float is stuck closed?

buffhunter

Cadet

Well I rebuilt all carbs took the oil injection off and put a new power pack on. Get to the lake it gets on plane a little doggy but goes, but only gets up to 5000 rpm WOT. After I run it for a while pull it out and get ready for the tournament. Put back in the water go to take off at blast off I cant get on plane 2500 RMP WOT. After going 2500 for a while the boat starts to get on plane while picking up RPMs when it gets on plane and I trim up the boat rips up to 5000 RPMs WOT which she usually goes to 5800 WOT when running good??????? I dont get this the motor is gonna take a couple bullets through the block here soon if I cant figure it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buffhunter

Cadet

Is there a high and low speed stater on that motor? Could that be the problem????