starbrite star*tron?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: starbrite star*tron?

I use Stabil Marine and Yamaha Ringfree with good success but you can Google: Marine Fuel Additives for lots of info and ingredients in most all available additives. Check it out and Good Luck!

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

The reason most boats need some kind of additive is two fold. First of all this E10 gas leeches water when sitting for awhile. Also, our gas seems to sit in our tanks for extended periods of time before being used up. Our tanks will then condense water. Both of these circumstances will cause bad gas. Additives such as Startron, Sea Foam, Ring free, and BRP"S and Merc's additives all work to keep our gas moisture free. In addition to these additives, I feel a quality fuel/water separator is a must.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

triumph rick I have used ring free since i bought the boat 07, 1st owner said he always used it and recomended i do to. i didnt know it would help w ethanol probs.and startron [says] its compatable w other addtvs.anyway i just added it to my tank! and will try to run the boat fri.1-15 to see if it helps w/ idle issues i am having.im wondering if the carbs, 03 f90 need attention after 7 yrs Im sure they have never been opened or cleaned or adjusted.oh i also have installd yami mini 10 filtr.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

triumph rick I have used ring free since i bought the boat 07, 1st owner said he always used it and recomended i do to. i didnt know it would help w ethanol probs.and startron [says] its compatable w other addtvs.anyway i just added it to my tank! and will try to run the boat fri.1-15 to see if it helps w/ idle issues i am having.im wondering if the carbs, 03 f90 need attention after 7 yrs Im sure they have never been opened or cleaned or adjusted.oh i also have installd yami mini 10 filtr.

I think you're on the right path...here's what you need to do next. SeaFoam does a great job of decarbon the carbs and cylinders. Here is a post from another forum by a guy who swears by this treatment....

"This works for Carbed, EFI, Ficht, HPDI, Optimax and even 4 strokes...

First you need a separate small fuel tank. One of those 3-gallon red Tempos works great or an empty gal mike jug will also work, but might be a bit messier.

I use Seafoam over the OEM stuff like OMC Engine Tuner or Mercury Power Tune because in the last few years they changed the formula and you have to let them sit up 12 hours. Who's got time for that? Seafoam you can buy from NAPA, CarQuest or other auto stores. Seafoam works in 15 minutes.

You'll need 3/4 gal of gasoline and one 16oz can of Seafoam for each engine. Don't forget to add 3oz of oil if you are premixing in a carbed engine. Use about 3-ft piece of fuel hose off the little tank. You connect this tank to your engine by pulling off the main tank fuel hose off the intake side of your water separating fuel filter and plug the hose off the small tank on to that fitting. Or you can separate the fuel line on the tank side primer ball, so you can still use your primer. If you have an engine that has fuel plug then you need a fuel plug on the little tanks hose.

Start the engine, let it warm up and start pulling the mix into the engine. You may have to increase the idle to keep it running once she get loaded with the Seafoam. Run the engine 15 minutes in the dock or just cruising around under 2500. Then shut it down and let it sit for 15 minutes. Restart the engine, the smoke you see is the carbon burning off. Do the whole thing again and let her sit again for 15 minutes. If she smokes after the second time, do it again, but I've never seen one still smoke after three doses. The gallon mix should be enough to do this 3 times. You don't need any wide-open throttle; you don't need to change the plugs. If it's cleaning the combustion chambers it's also cleaning the plugs, but every 50-60hrs is good time to change plugs in most engines.

I cleaned an antique Evinrude one time that had a 1/4" of solid carbon on the exhaust chamber walls by running a 1/2 gal of the mix through it. Seafoam has been around since the 30's and it's what they used when they were burning straight 4 stroke 40SAE oils in outboards.

You guys with the 4 strokes think you are immune from this? Those engines work 10 times as hard as any auto engine ever will and they will carbon up. I bought a Bronco two years ago that had 95,000 miles on it. When I used Seafoam on it I had the neighbors hanging out of their front doors looking for where the fire was after I started it the first time there so much smoke.

Too many are under the assumption that it's totally the 2-stroke oil that causes the carbon. Wrong... it's also the additives they put in the fuels today. The carbon inhibitors in 2-stroke oil are there for this reason also. Remember when gasoline used to smell like gasoline, today it smells more like bad cologne.

For those guys that like to do the carbon treatment by spraying it down the carburators, Seafoam also comes in spray can called Deep Creep. It's the same stuff under pressure. Says right on the can Oxygen Sensor Safe, for you Yam guys.

After that if your engine manufacturer recommends a daily additive treatment then does that in the mean time, but all 2-stroke outboard need decarboned every 50-60hrs. If I owned a 4 stroke I would do it the same. Once you are set up with the tank and hose the Seafoam is only 5-6 bucks can. It is too easy not to do it."

Most guys I've talked to agree it works very well."

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You really don't need to decarbon a four stroke but if it makes you feel better, do it. Also, carbs don't get carboned but they do get varnished. So the simple way to use SeaFoam on four strokes is to use the "shock" treatment followed by the "preventive" treatment as indicated on the container. This simply means you give the fuel system a full shot of SeaFoam and then use lesser amounts as a preventive measure. I also tend to disagree that two strokes need to be decarbed every 50-60 hours. If you do a lot of trolling or slow speed operation perhaps but if you do a lot of cruising or high speed running, they do not get carboned that quickly.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I've been using the Startron stuff in my 90HP 4-stroke (Yamaha) for the past 3 years. I think its great stuff, but there are also several other good products out there.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use startron in my 240gal tanks. stored full for six months. have never had a fuel related issue.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Update,, I see a small air bubble in the stock fuel filter,I just changed hose clamps and sealed the threaded joints on the mini 10 and the tank w/Rectorseal #5,1st time I used teflon tape.I heard that it wasnt good w gas afterward.anyway thanks everyone for your startron feedback.By the way while resealing the filter mount [from yamaha] I noticed black junk in the threads of one of 4 ports . it was obviously paint overspray from the black painted fltr mount.cleaned it w a bore brush.lucky It was on the inlet side I guess! I might call yamaha and tell them to check QC! how would fuel injectors do with a shot of gooey paint!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the air bubble was and is normal, ya outta watch it at cruising speed.
the QC issue isnt a YAMAHA issue,take it up with the EPA.
for years various manufacturers painted the inside of filters and vapor seperators.
todays fuel blends(at least in my area) tend to DISSOLVE the paint.
no one at yamaha engineering had a crystal ball when this stuff was made for the US govt mandated fuel blends it worked,the feds changed the rules after the product was built.
NEVER EVER use teflon tape of fuel fittings that get periodic removal,the teflon hairs tend to do more damage than good.
yamaha filters,if the actually say yamaha,will eithe be white or blue.
some of the aftermarket filter heads that the yamaha filter will screw on have the same paint dissolving issue.
the painted vapor seperators on the MPI volvo motors are killing us but volvo has released a new non painted seperator assy.