Yamaha 85hp tach - need help for wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebu14

Cadet
Hi,
I need help in order to get my analogue tach wired properly.

The tach I have is this one :

avant.jpg

arriere.jpg

A sketch to see the plots letters:

My outboard is a 2 stroke, 85hp, 3 cylinders, yamaha

Can you tell me where each wire connects (ground, +12v, signal)

Thanks a lot !

PS: sorry for my english, but I'm french !

zebu14

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 85hp tach - need help for wiring

Nobody for a tip ?

If someone could juste give me an advice it would be helpful.

Just for one of the connector for example...

If you know which wire connects to the "G" connector for example it would be a good starting point for me !

(I thank it was the "G" for Ground, but the wires that were connected before when I received it don't go in that way ....)

Maybe the G is really for Ground but I want ton ensure that in order to test properly the rest of wiring possibilities.

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

My guess is G for ground, B for battery, 12 for 12 pole, and 6 for 6 pole, but it is only a guess as I have never looked at one like this before.

zebu14

Cadet

Thanks for this clues,

I was thinking the same about the G and the B pins, but it brings to me another question where did I connect the "signal" wire..?

Because that I don't understand is : why the B pin is connected with 12 Pole or 6 Pole ?
and then how to place the "shunt", between 6 and B or between 12 and B..?

But thanks for your point of vue !!;)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

My 99C40 is a 6 pole 3 pulse out put from the alternator that feed the tach.
I do not know what your motor sends to tach and from where it come from.
In my opinion the B terminal should be 12V+ for power to tach and should not be shunted to any of the other terminals, G is ground or 12V -, and then the signal should be attached to the 6 or 12 terminal according to if it is a 6 or 12 pole alternator out put to the tach if that is where the signal comes from,

zebu14

Cadet

Ok,

I'll try to remove the shunt.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Ok,

I'll try to remove the shunt.

I overlooked the shunt in the picture you are talking about.
If it was there from the beginning I am not sure how this thing is to be hooked up, maybe the connection from B to 12 or 6 is the terminal that the signal hooks to according to what pole it is ,without tying to the battery +.
But like I said I do not know for sure and have not seen one like this before.

bayoulife

Recruit

did you ever figure out how to wire up your tachometer? i have the same exact tach and the same motor and dont know what wire goes where on it. anything helps. thanks

tom_wise

Recruit
After having just bought this very tach as shown in the OP's photo. I logged in to answer the OP's question.

The bottom area where the bridge is shown is where the Ground (represented by a "B" for black) is connected. It connects to the center of the three and you bridge accordingly. Over to it's right is a separate terminal, though is this photo it doesn't look very separate, in the latest version there is a clear plastic separator between the three on the left and the lone terminal on the right. The Right terminal is labeled G ( green) and that is the pulse wire from the engine.

This tach doesn't need, nor is there a terminal for, a Key-on hot at all. Just Pulse and Ground to operate the tach itself.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the added info.

Now this will be a libraried thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.