'87 Yamaha wiring problems!

Scrapiron

Cadet
Hi. I have an '87 Yamaha 200ETLH outboard on my boat. This morning i was trying to change a few of the gauges out as they are all smoked. I read the directions and hooked up the new tach then moved on to the voltmeter. after hooking the volt meter up nothing worked, so i tried a couple different things listed in the instructions and still nothing. Frustrated, i went to lunch. I came back a few minutes ago and was gonna crank it for a second(just changed out fuel port connector). when i turned the key switch on...nothing. no dash lights, no clicking of the choke....nothing. there is no indication that turning the key on does anything(power wise). I checked my battery charger and it said check connection on the #1 battery. not sure if it got grounded out while i was gone or what(left the wires hanging to go to lunch >.<). I put everything back like it was to begin w/ and checked all fuses and connections...nothing. Not sure where to go from here. HALP!

thanks in advance-Scrap

Scrapiron

Cadet
Re: '87 Yamaha wiring problems!

Just an update... Took the control box off to check the key switch and kill switch and both were good, but i was only getting 7.89 volts to key switch. I traced the power wire back to the solenoid to find out that i was only getting 7.89v there as well. I disconnected everything from the batteries except the mains and it will turn over now and im getting proper voltage. so evidently something is shorting the connection out....just have to find out what now. Guess ill hook things up one by one and try to locate the problem...any advice will be greatly appreciated.