Rodbolt, carb preventive maintenance tips

vbmlows

Cadet
Rodbolt,

You had mentioned cleaning fuel lines in another post to prevent carb fouling. How would you do that and what would you use? And how do you know if the fuel lines are clean enough?

Is it OK to use carb cleaners to clean fuel lines by letting it sit for an hour or so in the stuff and then flushing out with gasoline to make sure you don't accidentally try to run the engines on carb cleaner?

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rodbolt, carb preventive maintenance tips

If you are using e-10 gas it actually does a good job of cleaning the lines itself. Unfortunately, it also breaks them down if you are using anything other than metal. It may not be a bad idea just to replace them. How old are your lines and what material are they?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I believe I have read a recomendation of pulling a piece of rag soaked in SeaFoam or RingFree through the lines with a string to clean them.

I would not soak the lines in a carb cleaner the says to not put plastic or rubber parts in it.

vbmlows

Cadet

I am replacing my lines but I just wanted to know if there is a recommended practice for keeping them in good condition.

I have in the past run Seafoam through the fuel lines using the decarb procedure where a bottle of Seafoam is mixed with a gallon of gasoline in an external tank and run through the engines.