F115 cranking issues. Im lost on this one.

seapro_stevo

Seaman Apprentice
2003 yamaha F115 TLRC.

engine cranks on the first try everytime when its cold. After i run it for a few minutes... stop.... fish.... then go to crank it up it takes 3 or 4 tries before it will start. It only does it when the engine is warm. its sounds exactly like a weak battery, but the battery is brand new and has more then enough cranking amps. when i turn the key is sounds like the motor only turns a half turn and then stops. all the cables and grounds from the battery to engine are tight. Possibly the starter solenoid going bad???? the thing that gets me is that it is intermittent and only does it when the engine is warm. once it turns over it runs perfect, no smoke or anything. sounds to me like its only turning bearly, not enough to start the engine, or the starter disengages before the motor can fully turn. Please help.... the yamaha dealer here checked it out a few months ago and couldnt find anything wrong, which doesnt suprise me because i can crank it on a hose and it works. it has to be run for a while before it happens::confused:

robert graham

Admiral
Re: F115 cranking issues. Im lost on this one.

All battery cables are tight but are they clean? Maybe remove each one, clean with wire brush and re-assemble tight. Check/clean connections on the sides of the starter(under those black rubber covers). Just a bit of corrosion could cause your cranking problem,especially on a ground wire. Good Luck!

seapro_stevo

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info. im pretty sure they are clean, but i will remove all of them again and double check.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seapro, when the motor finanlly starts after it is warm how does it run? Especially at first start up? Do you see any unusual smoke?

seapro_stevo

Seaman Apprentice

Seapro, when the motor finanlly starts after it is warm how does it run? Especially at first start up? Do you see any unusual smoke?

it runs great. no smoke or weird smell. runs perfect, not even a hiccup. thats why i dont think i is anything to do with air/fuel mixture.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen pistons fill up with fuel and makes the engine crank really slow until it blows the fuel out. But it would smoke like a chimney at first until it clears out. I thought that maybe your problem but with your answer it sounds like the problem is elsewhere. As suggested, I'd double check my connections to make sure they are clean and tight. Those terminal cables can corrode under the insulation and all looks fine to the naked eye. Cold engines in warm weather will crank easier then after they warm up and the metal inside expands. Good Luck.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

do a voltage drop test on cables both positive and negitive.also starters have been know to expand internally once they heat up.you would need to be able to test amperage draw to test.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Is the charging system working properly. What could be happening is a diode in the charging system may have gone bad allowing a current draw on the battery. Once running the engine will charge the battery although not at a full rate. When stopped, the battery quickly discharges again. So take another battery and jumper cables with you. Run the engine as long as it takes to create the problem. Try to start the engine under those conditions and measure the battery voltage at that time. Bet it's low. Jump the battery and I'll bet it pops right off. If so, you have either a bad battery, connections issue, or a charging system issue. Don't overlook an accessory that is on only when the key is on. Some high current draw items such as high power stereos can suck a battery dry very quickly.

seapro_stevo

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info guys...i will try that this weekend and keep my fingers crossed

seapro_stevo

Seaman Apprentice

double checked all connections on battery, starter relay and block ground. all are very clean and tight. hmmmm.

charles_b

Recruit

Had the same problem on a F115. I think it may be that the mixture can go off before TDC during starting when hot. Fixed by replacing battery with more low impeadance type, check battery isolator, and leads.