150 Yamaha VMax Carb hard to start

jmpotter

Recruit
I have a 2008 Yamaha VMax Carb that is hard to start. I have to choke it and it takes about 5 minutes to get it to crank, sometimes longer.

However once it has been started the first time, it will start on a dime everytime after with no problems. It is under warranty, but the place I bought it at is 2 hours away.

Do you think using Sea Foam will help this problem? I have tried running Yamaha Fuel Stablizer, with no help. I also run ringfree in it. I bought the boat in April 2009 and it was a 2008 model, so it was at the dealer for over a year before it was run daily.

Thanks for any help you can give.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 Yamaha VMax Carb hard to start

post your exact step by step starting procedure.

jmpotter

Recruit

I have tried many ways, usually always get the same result.

-I've pumped the bulb till hard and used the electronic choke.

-Not pumped the bulb and used electronic choke.

-I've pumped the bulb till hard and used the manual choke.

-Not pumped the bulb and used manual choke.

Once its start it runs and starts great, even if I fish for 3 or 5 hours and then start it, it fires up. But if it gets completely cold, it will take a few minutes to start. Just was wondering if seafoam would clean the carbs and maybe help?

If not and it takes something alot more, I'll just have to take it back to the dealer.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the carbed Vmax is NOT a prime start engine.
use the warm up lever or the free throttle button so at start up its set about 1500-2000 RPM.
that motor doesnt like cold starts at a dead idle at ALL.. in fact I am amazed you get it started at all.

I've got the same motor and mine is hard to start (cold) too.
I've been following this sequence; it's better but not perfect.

-pump bulb until hard
-pull manual choke on motor
-advance throttle to 1500-2000 RPM
-crank with NO key choke

jmpotter

Recruit

I have a hot foot (no warm up lever), so holding it at the 1500 to 2000 rpm range and starting it is the samething?

I'll try it next time. Most of the time the ONLY way I can start it is with the manual choke. Using the key has never worked, even though I have checked to be sure it is engaging. Thanks and I'll let you know how it works.

robert graham

Admiral

Do it like Rodbolt said. My 90HP is primestart but can be a bit tricky on cold mornings starts. try cranking for about 2 seconds, stop for a few seconds and then resume cranking...usually starts right up then. I believe clean/dry spark plugs help a lot on start-ups also. Good Luck!

FasterDaddy

Cadet

I have this same motor on my Sea Hunt. My starting procedure is simple: Prime the fuel with the fuel line. Squeeze bulb until hard.
Turn key while pushing in for choke.
Engine always starts within 5 seconds. Nofiddling with the engine speed etc.

I suggest that if the SeaFoam does not work on one tank, that something is really wrong. Perhaps carb issue. I'd take it to the dealer. Don't mess with an engine that is still under warranty.