Prop and skeg hit rocks Yamaha F225

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice
2002 Yamaha F225: Drifted into shallows at 1200 RPM and banged up the tips of 2 of the prop blades and chewed up the skeg a bit. Engine never shut down, kept running fine back to the dock. I will replace the prop but the big questions I have are:

Is the skeg anything to worry about? Any way to assess the severity of damage other than eyeball it? Does it NEED to be repaired?

Should I worry about any gear damage since the hit? Anyway to assess that other than the obvious dings in the prop?

I Will take it to a shop if necessary but I just don't want to hear, "The whole lower unit has to come down and be taken apart, etc." for $2K if it's really not necessary.

Thanks for any input

Chris

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: Prop and skeg hit rocks Yamaha F225

check for a bent prop shaft thats about the only thing i would worry about.
if the skeg is not bend dont worry about is.

if the prop shaft is bent it will run but the motor will vibrate and your seals will not be able to keep the water out.

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice

Is vibration the only way to tell if the shaft is bent? Any signs or tests to tell if it doesn't appear obvious?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Is vibration the only way to tell if the shaft is bent? Any signs or tests to tell if it doesn't appear obvious?

To check a propshaft, one needs a dial indicator and a bracket to hold it. If the shaft wobbles more than about 0.002", replace it and the gears to be on the safe side.

Some folks say they can be straightened, and others say that will weaken them and they could break at some future date. If you have insurance, insist on a new one.