Suzuki general info

Gulfcoaster

Recruit
Can someone please tell me about suzuki 4 stroke marine outboards? How is their quality, dependability, fuel economy? I know other brands have their fortes like yamaha is very good in quality and durability, Mercury is a fast motor etc....so whats the scoop on Suzuki? Is it a respected brand or will it look like I own the Kia and not a Cadillac of the boat world? Correct me if Im wrong but didnt they get into oil inection first or at least very early in the game. Thanks for any info.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki general info

Suzuki has been building 4-strokes for years and they are indeed a quality motor. I have one on a pontoon and it is a great engine. Fuel economy is comparable across all engines so don't get all wrapped up in that discussion. Any engine -- two stroke or four stroke, at wide open throttle will burn at roughly 10% of its rated HP. 70 HP = 7 gallons/hour. That of course depends on the boat, the load, water conditions, etc. Suzukis have built a good reputation for reliability and durability. The only issues I've heard about (heard is the operative word here) is that they are little slow to respond to warranty issues but I place much of that responsibility on the dealer. Suzuki built motors for Johnson and Evinrude up until a year or so ago. They were Suzuki in every respect except for paint color. You will not be the "dufus" of the lake by owning one. And just so you know -- Kia/Hyundai happen to be very nice cars as well. You no longer need to spend a fortune to get a quality outboard (or a car).

reeldutch

Lieutenant

what motor are you looking for?
the DF 140s are great bullet proof engines.

the Df25hp carbed 4stroke i would pass up

the most imported thing is if you have a good quality service department.

if you were used to do it yourself tinkering on the motor, thats all over.
oil change end L/U lube , Tstats and spark plugs thats all about you could do yourself.
Waterpump if you used to them is also very easy.

if you run into a problem you need a profesional to diagnose it propperly.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Suzuki's forte is that they are quieter than the major competition.

Otherwise comparable in performance and reliability.

I loved my DF70.