Yamaha 115 powerhead year innerchange?

Asher11

Recruit
Hi guys, I tried a quick search but didn't find any information I was looking for.

Will the powerhead (bare block) from a 1985 yamaha motor fit up with a 2002 115 yamaha lower unit and electronics??

Here is what I have, I have a 1985 115 that has a good PH but hasn't been run in a while so I will need to go through the carbs. The lower unit on this engine is trashed (corrosion, zebra mussles).

I ran across two different options here. #1 I found a jet pump assembly that I could bolt on to what I have. OR #2 I found a guy selling a 2002 115 outboard with a blown power head but good lower end. If I go with the jet drive, I am going to loose my boating range due to fuel mileage, and also still have to rebuild the carbs. BUT I will be able to run smaller rivers that I can't run with a prop.

If I go with option #2 I would like to be able to just swap the long block into the newer motor housing and use the newer electronics, and maybe the carbs on the other engine wouldn't be in as bad of shape as mine.

So are the long blocks the same or did something change along the years?

Not that it should really matter but this is on a 16ft aluminum mod V jonboat.

Thanks in advance...

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 115 powerhead year innerchange?

are you sure the transom will hold a 115. Sounds too big for a 16 john.
Only way I can think of would be to look up parts #'s for both motors and see how any of them match up.