Yamaha 2002 150 ox66 wont run

mylifesucks

Cadet
ran the boat fine for last 2 days. yesterday oil buzzer came on (had filled the reservoir tank night before) after i was was idling down the river and went to plane off after 10 minutes, i checked the cap on the main tank on the motor and the arrows were not lined up so i adjusted the cap and had no problems after that. FULL oil tank and RESERVOIR, 30 gallons of gas, ran about 3 miles today fished for 30 minutes, moved and ran another 2 miles, fished for 30 minutes, decided to move again and made it about 2 miles and motor died instantly! no put puts, no rough idle, no hesitation.... just died. turns over but wont fire. fuel bulb is hard, fuel filter on motor is full(red ring at bottom), VST tank was full but seems like no fuel is getting to motor, any ideas!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 2002 150 ox66 wont run

yep,
check spark, check compression.
if the first two pass check the fuel system.
does the high pressure pump come on for about 5 seconds at key on power?

mylifesucks

Cadet

i am assuming i should be able to hear the high pressure pump?

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yes, you should here the pump pressurize for 5s when the key is turned from off to on.... pump goes on and injectors pulse for the initial start.

do as rodbolt suggests and you'll isolate your issue.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

injectors pulse one time at key on, you wont hear them most likly.
the HP pump will run about 5 seconds.
the rattle you hear at key off is the ISC resetting for the next start cycle.

MarshMan73

Seaman

My neighbor's motor experiences the same problem you describe about every 2 years. Everytime it has been a pinhole leak in one or more of the lift pumps on the side of the motor. He says that the last set he put on there had a different hole size and shape where the pressure pulse comes in at. Hope this helps.

mylifesucks

Cadet

i'm going to try and isolate the problem today. thanks for all the information! I would like to get it resolved before STRIPER season here in october!! Thanks again

mylifesucks

Cadet

heres what i have now. new spark plugs. got spark. good comprression. squeeze primer bulb and it gets rock hard, however there is no fuel in the VST tank. I also here a click when i turn the key 'on' but do not here any pumps run. I am guesing the pumps are bad? It almost seems as if the way it died the EMERGENCY CUTOFF SWITCH got activated and I cannot get it back to the working position. Do these go bad?

Last edited:

cousinabe

no fuel getting into the vst could be related to stuck float/needle valve in the vst.
if the emergency switch was bad, you wouldn't get a spark.

cousinabe

send me your email address in a PM and I'll send you some info.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if the bulb pumps up hard and no fuel is in the VST then check the inline check valve between the engine filter and the lower lift pump intake and check the fuel line quick connect on the engine side if used.
if not either of those then check the VST needle.

mylifesucks

Cadet

the hp pump is bad. i did get fuel to the vst however the pump will run sometimes and not others when 'hot wired' i believe there is something broke, stuck or just not right with the pump. i have to tap it with a hammer lightly in order for it to go.

I had a similar problem with an intermittent VST pump... sometimes it would come on, other times it seemed to go and then get stuck... made a weird quiet screeching sound when you first turned the key on. Solution was to replace the pump for a mere $800.