reed help please

catfish hunter

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1987 dt65 65hp outboad thats really sick. Im thinking its the reeds but I wanted to see what you guys thought about it first. Now first let me tell you a little about the motor. Like i said its a 1987 65hp suzuki that is on the back of a pontoon. I had to do a de-carb, carb rebiuld and a new fuel pump due to other problems that came up. After that it ran great for a few weeks.
Today we took it out and after running for about 20 mins. The motor acted like it was running on two cylinders. I had it at full throttle but we were going maybe half the speed and the motor was bogging down bad. I stopped and pulled the cover off and she ran like a top but with a little bit more noise then normal. Got back to the dock and checked out the cover for blockage but there was none. I could smell gas bad. I put my hand in front of the carbs and the center carb was pushing air and fuel back out(while it was running). I have never messed with reeds before and was wondering how hard of a job is it Or could it be something else?
Thanks
Jason

ARGYLL

Cadet
Re: reed help please

First I Do Not Think It Is The Reeds But Not Unherd Of Remove Carb And You Should Be Able To See Reeds Take A Soft Tool Like The Back End Of A Pen And Push The Reeds Very Genty About 1 Mm And Watch Them Come Back And Seal If All Looks Ok Then I Would Rebulid The Carb.